Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for me!!!!!
http://www.sunpro.com/product_detail.php?pid=16376
I need some help as to how/where is a good place to mount this gage setup on an 1966 coupe, standard interior...also, what's involved in hooking the gages up?? Is it difficult???? By the way, auto zone had a clearance on a sun tach kit, included new sun protach 3[5 inch chrome tach], and a style line chrome gage cluster[oil press., water temp., voltage]for 69.99. The protech 3 by itself was 99.99. I almost bought it, but I didn't want a 5 inch tach[it quite large] and I prefer the black to the chrome. It was a great deal though....

·
Registered
Current cars include 1969 Mach 1 and 1970 Cougar XR7 convertible
8,684 Posts
What's wrong with your factory gauges??

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nothing, they all work perfect, I just like to be able to tell what going on with the numerals...., I'm gong to get a tach also...

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
Do you have A/C? If not I would put it in the center under the dash. Be careful with those oil units, if you dont get the line on just right you dump a lot of oil in the interior, ask me how I know.

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
In the center of the car, under the dash is a good place. I have also seen them mounted under the dash, under the glove box; they seemed a little far away however.

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
On my 65 (long sold), it was mounted above the right knee, below the ignition & cig lighter; centered was too far over for me.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Year-One gauge pod, And the tach is a S.W. monster tach, $160 from Summit, got it new on E-Bay for $20 http://s94.photobucket.com/albums/l114/OfnaJoe/th_PC070013.jpg

·
Registered
180 Posts
You say under your pic that you have an all original 66 coupe with 83,000 miles.It is a nice car and has the gauges already.You don't need the extra gauges and certainly don't need a tach if your not going racing.Leave well enough alone.Take that money and buy yourself something nice for Christmas.

·
Registered
713 Posts
You want to mount it on the dash at eye level, otherwise you spend a lot of time with your eyes off the road. How about mounting it to the dash speaker grill? I have always dreamed of getting an "A" pillar gauge pod. They look cool, and they keep your eyes on the road.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I mounted mine under the dash above my right knee. It seems to work great right there. It is out of the way yet easy to see.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think by the right knee will work well for me...Jim, you are correct, my car is very original, but a few goodies are nice, and I won't do anything that cannot be undone. I am thinking about taking this back and getting one of the clearance kits they have, it is a great deal, I'm just not sure how the chrome willgo in my black interior...I suppose the horn ring and shifter are chrome it might look o.k. opinions anyone????
this is what you get in the kit for 69.99
http://www.sunpro.com/product_detail.php?pid=16313
http://www.sunpro.com/product_detail.php?pid=16379
great deal huh?? I think I'm going to go for it....

·
Registered
713 Posts
Meyer65 said:
I completely disagree. I think everyone needs a tachometer. Arguably more important than a speedo IMHO.
Yeah, I will argue that the speedometer is more important than the tach. You get a ticket for speeding, not engine revolutions. Actually, most modern cars have both which is nice, but back in the day of cheap cars, which is what your Mustang was to compete with the bug Volkswagen, the speedometer was required by law; not a tach.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, but what a gorgeous, cool, "cheap car"......

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
great deal huh?? I think I'm going to go for it....
While I agree that the price is good, I'm not sure how this will look in your car.

I have no problems modifying a classic Mustang, matter of fact, I prefer to, rather than keeping it stock. However, this tach and gauge pack looks like it would fit better in something with a "Type R" sticker on the back window.

Shift light? Do you plan on winding that baby out to the point of possibly missing a shift?

Since your original gauges are all working, what's the point of duplicate gauges? It'll look kinda "tacky" or "rigged".

I understand that the price is good, but that doesn't mean you have to buy it.

Dave

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No, I won't be winding my car out, shift light definatly not needed. [I think it may be able to be removed], but I enjoy watching the tach, and the other gages do perform a function with a bit more detail than the stock gages. The tach may be a bit much[size wise, 5 inch face is pretty big, ], but the other 3 I think are a good size, and the more I think abotu it , the chrome will lokk fine[lots of chrome on the stock dash anyway]. think I could mount the tach on the tranny hump, it comes with a swivel base....I don't think it will look tacky,photos others posted look good[to me], are these gages difficult to hook up??Th elines must go thru the firewall somewhere, and then to there appropriate place....

·
VMF Full-Timer
3,823 Posts
They are Very easy to hook up. ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts