Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to a good source, the head of the Ears and Gears Rrestoration fraud scheme of a couple years ago was sentenced today. Tim Steinmetz was sentenced to 48 months in Federal prison. After his prison sentence he will be on 36 months of supervision. He was ordered to pay restitution in the amount of $99,000.00. He will be forced to pay 50% of his prison earnings to the victims. After prison he is forced to pay at least $500 per month to the victims.
To those of us who were close to this case and are/or were victims know that restitution will be very slow in coming if it ever does. We also know that one of the other parties in this case who was the one who did the advertising on the VMF site got off with probation and will escape scott free to do it again. They were deeply involved in other web schemes beside this one. I am bringing this up again to just let you know that you are on your own when someone steals you blind in the manner that these people operated. The authorities only want to make and close the easiest case for their careers sake and there is really no regard for your loss. That is solely up to the court. If you make the same mistake, you are stuck so be very careful with who you deal with. These people took some very educated, intelligent people with a seemingly sound purchase deal of Classic Mustangs and Shelby's and are only where they are because the victims banded together and worked very hard to catch and prosecute them. Be Very Careful.

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
I don't recall this scam here...Mind telling about it ? Dickson

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can go to the Tom Schmidt links for info, Also SAAC.com in the yellow light section or search all VMF forums with keywords, ears and gears, Rhonda, etc. A lot of stuff was in the old forum files. Several people were saved from dealing with these people by simply asking questions on VMF and getting private emails back with warnings. For many it was too late. There are safety in numbers. Try this also. http://www.usdoj.gov/usao/txs/releases/May2001/010521-steinmetz.html

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That sure was a crappy sentence(I was following this as well as the Shelby thief). I personally do an on-site inspection of everything I want over $500 especially cars. A friend considered a GT 500 from them & backed out when they balked at an on-site & the PI gave them a bad rap. He was told the car will go to someone else if you don't send the deposit... glad he didn't! I'm NOT saying we need to have a revolution or we DO NOT need a conspiracy but we need to take or gov't back. I have seen a lot of bad things from the Feds since I got nailed at a former job. All the working man gets is lip service... if that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts