Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the front end complete. All of the small items on the inside are complete. I have the intake and gaskets ready and I have the exhaust and headers ordered. Now I have to decide on any of the 600CFM carbs out there to install. I need some opinions. I have a 351C 2V to be converted over to a 4 V carb using the Edlebrock air gap intake. I want a carb that is easy to install and easy to tune but gives me the most bang for the buck. It also needs to not be a gas guzzler. Any ideas from some of you folks that have done this?

·
Registered
915 Posts
My own opinion is an edelbrock. They are very easy to maintain work on and tune. The most important is from the factory they come ready to run with very minimal adjustment for altitude.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
21,713 Posts
The stock Autolite 4100's top my list for "good". But 35 year old carbs in good shape are a bit hard to find.
I have two Edelbrocks in service now. Both work fine and need no attention, which is very nice for daily drivers. Edelbrocks do tend to work fine installed as is, but like any carb can usually benefit from a little fine tuning if you care to go to the trouble.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
An Edelbrock should fit what what you are looking for. I have their 1406 on my car and have not had to touch it except for some tuning. Definitly a "bolt on and go" carb.

·
Banned
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is the ticket. That is what I have been hearing from most or you guys comments on other post as well. Thanks

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
I havent had much experience with much else, but the Edelbrock Performer carbs are easy to install (come with a DVD showing installation) and are easy to adjust. All vehicles can benefit from more fine tuning like changing jet sizes but for the most part you can just bolt the Edlebrock on, ajust the idle and adjust the idle screws and you should be good to go.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I have used only Holley carbs for the 21 years I have been playing with mustangs. I am really just about ready to ditch them!! I can never seem to get them dialed in just right. I also seem to be plagued by rich running engines and leaking throttle shafts.
It sounds like the consensus here is that the Edelbrock carbs deserve a shot. I am ready to try something different.

Which Edelbrock do you think would be best for my combo?
My engine:
68 302 4v 9.5:1 compression
solid crower cam
comp camps roller rockers
Larger valves (1.92 - ??)
Cobra dual plane intake
4-speed CR Toploader
8" 3.80 Trac-Loc Diff.
Currently running stock manifolds. Upgrading to either HiPo Mans. or short headers.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Biggest bang for the buck and easiest to install/tune can be 2 totally different things.

Biggest bang for the buck would be to find a used Holley and rebuild it. I bought my 750 Double Pumper on Ebay for $80, then spent another $65 for the master rebuild kit. So for less than half the price, I have a carb that will run circles around an Edelbrock.

Easiest to install would probably be the Edelbrocks. On anything other than a very stock engine, I wouldn' bother with the 1406, though. Start with the 1405 and add the electric choke to it, if you want. The 1406 just comes way too lean, out of the box to be used in any kind of performance application.

As far as which is easier to tune, it's a toss up, in my book. Changing jets is slightly easier on a Holley (not so much linkage to remove). Changing float settings is definitely easier on a Holley, as it can be done wet, with the engine running. Pump shot is much more adjustable on a Holley, but easier to change on an Edelbrock. Changing "transition settings" is easier on the Edelbrock, which uses the step up springs and metering rods, instead of a power valve.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Zaps_73_Mach_1 said:
Edelbrocks on fords with mechanical kickdown rods require the corresponding kit. Its an added expense. Just making you aware.
That's a good point. Actually, IMHO, Edelbrocks don't work worth a damn with a kick down rod (but work fine with the '66-'68 cable). The Edelbrock "Ford kickdown adapter" is a total POS and a complete waste of money.

I highly recommend tossing the rod for the Lokar cable, if you use an Edelbrock on a '65 or '69-'73.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Add my vote to the "Edelbrock" column...

·
Banned
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You guys are saying I will have to purchase another kickdown rod for the 351C if I buy the edlebrock?

·
Registered
540 Posts
No, what they are saying is get rid of the rod and buy the Lokar Cable instead. That's what I did after spending money on the POS adapter.

·
Registered
Current cars include 1969 Mach 1 and 1970 Cougar XR7 convertible
8,684 Posts
Carb preference is like choosing your favorite flavor of ice cream. My flavor is Holley. Their Street Avenger series is good right out of the box. I've had one on my Mustang for several years and it really is a set it and forget it carb....much easier than the old leaky double pump Holley that came on the car that I was constantly fiddling with the first year I owned it.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
vc351w said:
No, what they are saying is get rid of the rod and buy the Lokar Cable instead. That's what I did after spending money on the POS adapter.
Amen to that. I tried to use the adapter on my 73 vert and it was a piece of crap. Screwed up the linkage geometry and the kickdown rod hit the bottom of the air cleaner. Removed the adapter and used a Lokar cable instead. Worked great.

On the other hand, the Edelbrock carb works great.

·
Registered
10,607 Posts
I'm a Holley guy, but for a simple plug-n-play, you can't really beat an Edelbrock. If you plan on any head or cam swaps in the future, a slight larger carb will work better for you. The 600 is at the very low end of the range for a 351C.

Be sure your tank and lines are spotless and in tip top shape. Edelbrocks do NOT react well to a dirty fuel system. A high quality paper element filter is also a good idea.

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts
Wow, Hemi just about took the exact words out of my mouth. Ditto on carb size - I'd go with a 650 for the Cleveland.
I've always been a Holley guy, but the plug-and-play of the Edelbrocks seem hard to beat. That said, my Street Avenger has seemed to be as easy to set up and as smooth running as anything I've heard about the Edelbrock.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts