Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Called wenzco in emmaus, pa to price sandblasting media (80 bucks for eastwood's silicon carbide is nuts!! and I believe they wanted 50 for aluminum oxide), wenzco doesn't list silicon carbide but their 50# bags of 36 grit aluminu oxide is half of what eastwood wants.....they also have this stuff called black beauty that I'd swear I used from another company (their black beauty worked great!!) and want 11 bucks for a 100# bag.

Thanks to my fellow vmf'ers for pointing me in wenzco's direction!!

·
Registered
437 Posts
I know this is not what you were asking.. so forgive me if you are not interested in this information, but I found many years ago that sandblasting myself anything but the smallest of parts was not worth my time or money. It is horrible work, especially on a hot day, and the sand gets everywhere you don't want it to. I now drop the stuff of at the local blaster, and pick it up when they are done... cost is not much more, and they can blast it using whatever material you want.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I hate to break it to you guys. But why are you buying sandblasting media over the net or thru the mail. Basically what i am saying is. Shipping is what kills you! Find a local place that you can buy it from and transport it home yourself. You will save tons of money that way. And in response to the whole send it away to be sand blasted. I don't want to start flaming here but. Not everyone is a send is away restorer. Some people like to do EVERYTHING they possibly can to restore a car and not have others do it for them.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
That's why I go to Wenzco, I can stop by on my way home from work!
I aslo agree with the DIY comments. I look forward to seeing how good I can shoot a paint job on. Ahhh.... the joy of the challenge!!

G

·
0 Posts
I live in the San Francisco Bay Area and have been unable to locate a local supplier for less-than-commercial quantities.

As for shipping, somebody has to get it here, whether it's shipped to my house or shipped to the retailer (who, as noted, does not seem to exist).

·
Registered
437 Posts
I'm not a "send it away restorer"... I do everything myself except the blasting... and for your information, its not about sending it away or doing it yourself, its a matter of economics. I got my entire car media blasted with Al. Oxide underneath and Plastic media on the outside, then coated with vari-prime. This would have cost me double or triple to do it myself since the materials are so expensive.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts