Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI Guys,

I have an Eastwood 175 MIG welder. Lately, the gas will not shut off when I let off the trigger. The only way for it to stop flowing is to turn the unit off. I know I need to call customer service but does anyone have an idea of what could be causing this? I wonder if this is a common issue with MIG welders or maybe something unique to the off shore stuff that Eastwood sells. Thoughts??

Thanks!!

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Only ones I've seen have been in the unit. Usually it's just inside where you connect your hose to, where you put the wire spool in.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Talked to their tech guy.....either my solenoid is bad or the board. They stock both--$21 for the valve or $50 for a board. Wondering, maybe the valve is just stuck?? Could I shoot some air through it backwards?? Worth a try?

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Don't think shooting air thru it backwards will really do anything. Wonder if you could check the solenoid coil with a ohm meter? It should have a specific value if the coil is good.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20,541 Posts
I bet you have a stitch weld feature. This will keep the gas flowing after you release the trigger to cool the weld. My HTP MIG welder does that

·
Registered
4,390 Posts
If it's still under warranty, send it back. I'm on my third mig 175, all replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
4,390 Posts
That's a problem with Eastwood. As far as I can tell, there is no service after the warranty has ended.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Pretty sure it's the solenoid....$21 from them so it's not a big deal. I only use the welder a few times a year and won't be needing it until the spring but if I was using it daily that would be a different story.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts