Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
to convert a 70 hood with the regular turn signal hoodscoop into a shaker hood. My concern is whether or not the holes for the hoodscoop wiring would fall in the area to be cut out for the shaker. It looks like they would be too close to the windshield and thus would have to be patched up. That would be tricky to not warp the hood and also since there is that sticky black goo underneath between the hood and the inner structure. Should I just wait for a shaker hood or flat hood to convert?

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
I think it would be more trouble than it's worth to patch the holes, I'm gonna get a different hood for mine.

Joe

·
Premium Member
7,081 Posts
I would NOT try to "patch" the holes. Heat will warp the hood, and I have not found a product that will not crack over time without a metal base. I would buy a second uncut hood, and turn it into the shaker, and either keep the old hood or sell it. Maybe you could find someone who will trade?

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Don't waste your time, find a stock flat hood instead and cut a hole in it for your shaker.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I'll keep looking for either a shaker hood or a flat hood to convert. I don't have the blinker hood, just was thinking of buying it. Seems to not be the best idea.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
I would NOT try to "patch" the holes. Heat will warp the hood
I've seen this before, and I don't get it...what's so special about hoods? Nobody has a problem with welding doors, quarters,fenders, etc, why not a hood? Anything will warp if you do it wrong; if you're careful, I see no problems with welding on a hood.
--Kyle

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Kyle, hood sheet metal is thinner and less supported and tends to warp very easily.

I got an extra hood with my SCJ project (the one the PO was GOING to use) and his shaker cut-out was larger than the trim ring!! DOH! Luckily, the original hood just had some dings that I got out easily.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I was going to do the same thing. After evaluating my options i chose to buy an after market regular hood and the shaker pattern off ebay. Cut the hole out and no regrets.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts