Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the center section out for a rebuilt and now I'm ready to put it back. Do I need to use any other sealant in addition to the new gasket?

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
I have seen guys put them in with no sealant and not have problems. I always put a little sealant on mine though. I hate oil leaks.

69 Mach 1 427 Windsor

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
I've gotten by without sealant before, but wasn't so lucky this time around. Use sealant, I've got to go out today and fix the very small, but annoying, leak in my rear. (eeuuwww.) /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
In the past, I've just used a thin coat of Permatex #2 on the metal surfaces which helps hold the gasket in place while installing. Don't forget the copper washers on the lower studs...

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I noticed those washers when I took it out what is there purpose and how many should there be and which studs gets the washers? Thanks

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Take a look at the back of the housing....see where the fill/level plug is? Or, if none, look for one on the side of the center section.

This determines the gear oil level. The washers should be on all studs at or below that level...

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Why would you not put washers on all the studs?

IME, the only ones installed were at or below the level of the gear oil, presumably to assist in retaining the gear oil during periods of non-use....kind of like another finger in the dike *G*

You can certainly install them on all studs if you prefer.....most of the racing rearends I've worked on just use RTV and no washers....I was just remembering my experiences in wrecking yards pulling virgin center sections and surmising the factory's rationale...

ya, ya!! *G*

1 - 8 of 8 Posts