Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy friends,
My 66 recently overheated due to the electric fan not turning on. My car's wiring looks like a rats nest. I'd love to replace the whole wiring harness but it's too expensive plus I'm pretty bad with wiring. I'm looking to get a new electric fan and install it myself but as I mentioned I'm bad at wiring. Do you know of any super simple to wire fans? Weird question cuz I'm sure they're all the same but thought it'd be worth a shot.
My current one which won't turn on is a Spal va18-ap51/c-41a.
I would get a mechanical fan but I plan on installing my ac compressor soon which seems like it might interfere.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,952 Posts
DonP has a great diagram, it is as simple as you can go and do it right.
However, one possible exception.
Some fans require more than 30 amps. For example, my Lincoln Mk VIII fan takes like 70 or more (it's a two speed fan) so that 30 amp fuse and relay would blow long before the fan really even got going.
Most automotive relays are fairly low current-35-45ish amps. You can buy a larger amp rated relay, they are also physically larger but wire up the same way.
All depends on the fan and it's current draw requirements.
Wish you were in the Phoenix area, this stuff is fun for me.
Hope this helps some.
Russ
 
  • Like
Reactions: areallifecowboy

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,407 Posts
The fan you have is likely not bad, its the fuse or controller or switch or relay. Simple, eh?
Find the wire from the fan motor and touch it to the battery to see.

Simple wiring: Ground to about any metal screw or nut. Hot wire-Battery to fuse(fuse close to battery), fuse to switch, switch to fan. Don't let the smoke leak out of the wires.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for the advice. Very helpful. I will check all connections and the fuses and see what's up
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top