Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to slow the assist pressure some as I believe I'll be able to feel the road a bit more. I have a '65, with a 289 and all stock steering hdwr. The pulley on the pump is 4 7/16" in diameter, 1/2" belt groove

The question I have is how big of a pulley have folks tried and like? Go up to a 5" or more?

thanks for any help.

·
Registered
592 Posts
If you swapped to a Saginaw type pump, you could use the Borgeson pressure reducing kit.
PS.As elcam just said

·
Registered
33,833 Posts
Instead of swapping pulleys, maybe changing the spring pressure by using washers or shims, or modifying the valve? A call to Chockostang (Dan Chockley) may yield some suggestions.

·
Registered
8,425 Posts
I'd like to slow the assist pressure some as I believe I'll be able to feel the road a bit more. I have a '65, with a 289 and all stock steering hdwr. The pulley on the pump is 4 7/16" in diameter, 1/2" belt groove

The question I have is how big of a pulley have folks tried and like? Go up to a 5" or more?

thanks for any help.
I haven’t hot-rodded the Eaton pump..... let me say that right off the bat. That said, the Eaton pump should respond the same way as the Ford pump.... I’d be inclined to try the bigger pulley first. Probably a 5.5” or so would have the right effect.
You’ll find the pressure relief valve under a screw-in plug on the side of the Eaton pump, but I don’t know if that’ll be as easy as going to a larger pulley.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

·
Registered
8,425 Posts
I haven’t hot-rodded the Eaton pump..... let me say that right off the bat. That said, the Eaton pump should respond the same way as the Ford pump.... I’d be inclined to try the bigger pulley first. Probably a 5.5” or so would have the right effect.
You’ll find the pressure relief valve under a screw-in plug on the side of the Eaton pump, but I don’t know if that’ll be as easy as going to a larger pulley.

We used to change the springs sometimes on the reaction valve inside the control valve, but although that does directly effect the steering feel, it is a PITA and nowhere near as easy as a pulley swap.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

1 - 7 of 7 Posts