Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't do my homework or read between the lines correctly and bought a 9 " third member with 3.70 gears and what I thought was a traction lok. However, after receiving the unit and talking with the seller, I realized that it is a torque lok rear with the powertrax components. The seller appears to be a good guy and has offered a full refund but I wanted to get some feedback on this type of system before I make my decision.

Is it strong enough for 350 to 400 horsepower and is it noisy when you go around corners? Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Does the unit have teeth or clutches? If it has teeth then yes it will make noises but as far as I know Detroit Lockers are the only ones with teeth. I don't see any reason why it won't handle 350-400 HP. Powertrax has been around for a long time and makes good products. Now if you are running all out drag slicks then you should be running a spool, but otherwise keep and run what you've got.

·
Registered
638 Posts
If for any reason your not happy with it, I'd be willing to take it off your hands. I am looking for that exact set-up but have found shipping cost prohibitive on sucha heavy item, therefore I am keeping an eye out for one nearby within driving distance.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The seller said it was the spring loaded type. I'm thinking that is the clutch type, right?

CHRISCADE, I think I am going to try it out and if I don't like it or change my mind I will let you know.

·
Registered
10,287 Posts
No, The Richmond Powertrax comes in two flavours.

The original is purely a toothed gear. It is the ratcheting of the tooth gear that makes the noise. It is a very strong unit. I have one in my 9 inch. It does make some ratcheting noise but I don't find it objectionable.

They also offer a newer PowerTrax locker that manages the ratcheting with the springs but is still a locker. I have not seen one but would expect it is just as strong and is advertised as being quiet.

fwiw, if it has clutches it is a limited slip, ie Traction-Loc. If it is toothed it is a locker. It is the teeth meshing that cause the 'lock'

Powertrax 92-0680-2800 - Powertrax No-Slip Traction Systems - Overview - SummitRacing.com

1 - 5 of 5 Posts