Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is everyone's thoughts on this build? I am sure everyone has an opinion. I would be lying if I said I wasn't interested in the purchase. But not being extremely knowledge on engine builds I'm seeking the help of the forum to gauge. Are the HP claims accurate with the specs? Is the price fair for what you get?

435HP 306 CID SB Ford Engine Eagle DSS Trick Flow Mustang | eBay

·
I won a special award
7,409 Posts
How does he figure 435hp? Has it been on a dyno? What are the cam specs? Compression ratio? Etc etc. Too many unknowns. Just because it was machined using state of the art equipment doesn't mean it was done right.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
I've been lurking on eBay too looking at engines incase mine takes a dive. So do you look for a brand like Blueprint, ATK, Ford Racing or a place like TriStar?

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
I have close enough to the same motor, except is a 331 and I am running AFR185 heads. Great power for a street car. My only real question on it is, if you are already in there, and already doing the work. Why in the #$%^ would you not stroke this thing? Seems like a no brainer to me. Also, I would call BS on that 435HP number. If it was a 347 then sure it could happen. But I honestly don't see those numbers as realistic with a 306.

I'm not knocking the motor, like I said great power for a street car and you would probably be happy as heck with it. I just find that number kinda suspect.

·
I won a special award
7,409 Posts
It has a single plane intake ,not really ideal for street driving
I've run a variety of single plane intakes over the years on the street without any issues. I used them on a very mild low compression 351C up to my current 393W with a lot of compression and cam.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
See the sellers response to the questions asked...

"Hi, HP # is from previous similar builds and software calculation figures it between 426 to 455 (Performance Trends Engine Analyzer Pro) Cam is 238/244 @ .050 lift .560 lift 10.5 to 1 compression Ratio Thanks"

Based on what he used to build the motor would everyone consider this a "solid build?"

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Tristar seems to have a good bang for buck motor but not a lot of reviews... FordStrokers seems to be the clear favorite followed by CHP and Keith Craft. I can seem to fork over my money to any of the others builders you mentioned simply based on the reviews from forum members... I'm a trip advisor kind of guy, the people don't lie.

I've been lurking on eBay too looking at engines incase mine takes a dive. So do you look for a brand like Blueprint, ATK, Ford Racing or a place like TriStar?

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
I've run a variety of single plane intakes over the years on the street without any issues. I used them on a very mild low compression 351C up to my current 393W with a lot of compression and cam.
The bottom end HP/TQ on a 306 is very weak compared to a 351.

"Hi, HP # is from previous similar builds and software calculation figures it between 426 to 455 (Performance Trends Engine Analyzer Pro) Cam is 238/244 @ .050 lift .560 lift 10.5 to 1 compression Ratio Thanks"

Based on what he used to build the motor would everyone consider this a "solid build?"
You'd have to be born yesterday to buy an engine from that seller.

435 is possible with that combo. i know guys that get 485 on the engine dyno from a 289 with 69-70 351W iron heads, edelbrock performer rpm , 750 holley.
I'd like to, but have a very hard time believing those numbers. AFR and TrickFlow would be out of business if that were the case.

:cheers:

·
Premium Member
10,813 Posts
The bottom end HP/TQ on a 306 is very weak compared to a 351.

You'd have to be born yesterday to buy an engine from that seller.

I'd like to, but have a very hard time believing those numbers. AFR and TrickFlow would be out of business if that were the case.

:cheers:
I know this for a fact cause i was there during the dyno session. those W heads are not stock. lots of work went into then, no expense was spared and thats one reason trick flow and afr will never be out of business. it would be way cheaper to run aftermarket heads but the rule dont allow it. btw those 2 engines are in 66 gt350 vintage roadracers.

·
Registered
4,956 Posts

That engine would probably dyno in the low 400 HP. A better way to go is with a 347 stroker from AD Performance.
ADP Comp Street 347 - 10.5:1 [adp_street_347_na] - $2,199.00 : AD Performance, Your Source for Longblock Performance Parts
Then use the AFR 185 Renegade heads, Air Gap,RPM or Stealth for the Intake. For just a few hundred more you will have a better build with more Torque and horsepower.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
That engine would probably dyno in the low 400 HP. A better way to go is with a 347 stroker from AD Performance.
ADP Comp Street 347 - 10.5:1 [adp_street_347_na] - $2,199.00 : AD Performance, Your Source for Longblock Performance Parts
Then use the AFR 185 Renegade heads, Air Gap,RPM or Stealth for the Intake. For just a few hundred more you will have a better build with more Torque and horsepower.
I am honestly having a hard time even believing low 400's. My guess would be about 385'ish. I will fully admit that I do tend to estimate things harshly when it comes to motor builds. I like to figure low and be surprised. 385ish in one of these cars is plenty honestly, but I think the builder is being very generous with his "estimate."

1 - 20 of 37 Posts