Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As many have read in my previous posts I installed a 9 inch out of a 67 mustang in my 65. Apparently that rear end was actually out of a 71 cougar. So it's to wide and causing tire scrubbing. I decided to just get a 9 inch housing in the dimensions for a 65 mustang and not bother with trying to modify and shorten my current rear. I found a seller on eBay selling a rear in the "correct 52.25 in" width. I verified this twice with the seller.

The original ad on eBay showed two different 9 inch rears. One with straight tubes and one with tapered tubes. I asked the seller to verify which one was actually being sold. The seller tolde that he fixed the ad to show the correct rear and that he had sold the other one. Here are the pics of the rear that supposed to show up.

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Tread Motor vehicle

Wood Musical instrument Gas Metal Pipe

Wood Gas Font Metal Art

I negotiated the price and the bought the rear. However this is the rear that I received.

Road surface Asphalt Flooring Gas Wood

Road surface Asphalt Wood Gas Tints and shades

Road surface Automotive tire Wood Asphalt Concrete

Handwriting Wood Road surface Automotive tire Asphalt

This is not the same rear as advertised. It's actually the one from the first pics before the seller supposedly fixed the ad. The rear is obviously shortend and rewelded. It's not 52 1/4 it's 52 3/8 as noted on the work tag. I measured to verify. The perches are at 43 inches so the rear should fit and I doubt a 1/16 on either side will matter much. But it's the principal of the matter. He advertised one thing and sent another. Verified a width and then sent something that was the wrong width. Do I make a big deal about this or just let it ride? Price includeing the axle shafts was $400 plus shipping by UPS. I need to clean it up a paint it. Just trying not figure out what I should do before I start on the project.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I would contact the seller first before EBay and state the differences between what was advertised and what was received. Usually they make it right by refunding some money rather than having a negative score on EBay. Too many negatives and they are no longer allowed to sell on eBay. It sounds like you can still use it just fine but you’re not completely satisfied with the transaction or the advertised description. I was in a similar situation, where I bought what was described as a 22 gallon Fuel Safe fuel cell and received a 16 gallon. I contacted the seller and he knocked $100 bucks off of the $400 purchase. He apparently had a few listings with similar cells and simply cut and pasted the descriptions. The extra capacity wasn’t that important to me so the refunded money was a good compromise and made it right in my mind.

·
Registered
5,141 Posts
Did you make the purchase through ebay?

First contact the seller and ask for an explanation.

If you are not satisfied, file a dispute if you do not want it.

I had the same issue on a bellhousing for my 67 Mustang. The bell in the ad was for a floor shift C4, the bell that showed up was for a column shift. I emailed the seller and he smarted off to me, saying it will work, you're being picky. I filed a dispute, returned the bell and he sent me the one advertised. The douche probably does this all the time because most people will just let it slide.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would contact the seller first before EBay and state the differences between what was advertised and what was received. Usually they make it right by refunding some money rather than having a negative score on EBay. Too many negatives and they are no longer allowed to sell on eBay. It sounds like you can still use it just fine but you’re not completely satisfied with the transaction or the advertised description. I was in a similar situation, where I bought what was described as a 22 gallon Fuel Safe fuel cell and received a 16 gallon. I contacted the seller and he knocked $100 bucks off of the $400 purchase. He apparently had a few listings with similar cells and simply cut and pasted the descriptions. The extra capacity wasn’t that important to me so the refunded money was a good compromise and made it right in my mind.
I contacted him. He told me that he looked at the pics and they are the same rear end. I kindly pointed out the differences and he has yet to reply.

·
Registered
1967 i6
53 Posts
I would contact the seller, let them know you didn’t receive the same item posted, and see what they have to say about it. If you think the item you received is workable, maybe keep it subject to a slight discount? Shipping on an axle can’t be cheap, so a discount makes sense for both parties.

·
Super Moderator
11,374 Posts
I contacted him. He told me that he looked at the pics and they are the same rear end. I kindly pointed out the differences and he has yet to reply.
He's quite the seller isn't he?!

·
Registered
10,606 Posts
Did you get the axles with the purchase?

Were they cut down?

Do they fit?

·
Premium Member
603 Posts
Another possible issue is the housing you received was welded. Is it straight? Are the welds good? Not trying to stir the pot, but your purchase wasn’t for a repaired/shortened housing.

Rusty

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Another possible issue is the housing you received was welded. Is it straight? Are the welds good? Not trying to stir the pot, but your purchase wasn’t for a repaired/shortened housing.

Rusty
The housing has been welded. Don't know if it's straight but the welds appear to be well done.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I actually just measured the axles. One is 26 1/8 and the other is 30.5. Both actually are not within specs of 1965 axles even with an extra 1/8 inch wide housing. Supposed to be 1.1 inch space in between the shafts at the differential. Assuming that the shafts are set for a 2.5 inch offset only leaves me with .75 in space in between axle shafts.

·
I won a special award
8,107 Posts
As the buyer you are in the driver's seat when it comes to disputes on Ebay. If he ignores you, file a complaint with Ebay. If he ignores Ebay, you'll get a refund and get to keep the rear end. At the very least I'd get a partial refund as he shipped you a modified axle housing. I would ensure the tubes were welded on straight as well as the angle the perches are welded on in reference to the mounting surface of the center section. If that's off, your pinion angle will be off for the driveshaft.

Reactions: JSHarvey

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Those tubes were welded very well. This guy is not an amateur based on the quality of those welds. Hopefully the housing is true, but based on the weld quality, i'd say the guy knows what he is doing. Is that a big bearing rear housing? I would not sweat the 1/8" total length difference. When you get the third member, check and see if the axles work and are not too long. They may be fine.

Reactions: pprince

·
Premium Member
5,702 Posts
Looks to be a "new" big bearing housing probably out of an F-100/150 with 3" tubes that has been narrowed. Could be awesome or poop depending on how true the axle housing is. You don't "need" a 9" rear end. Nor do I!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Post a pic of the original ad. Just because the welds look.... ok, doesn't mean he did it properly. That thing could start chewing up axles,bearings and vibrate too. I would take a hard pass on that unless it said in the ad that he was selling a custom cut/built unit.Then it's on you. A pic of the ad would help.

·
I won a special award
8,107 Posts
Looks to be a "new" big bearing housing probably out of an F-100/150 with 3" tubes that has been narrowed. Could be awesome or poop depending on how true the axle housing is.
I built the 9" in my Mustang out of housing from an early 80's F150. The housing was very stout compared with the original 1970 9" housing my car was built with. I did have to use larger U-bolts to use the F150 housing.

1970 Mustang housing on the left, F150 housing with back brace and big bearing ends modified to fit in my 1970 Mustang on the right

Tool Bicycle part Household hardware Gas Wood

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bicycle part Automotive exhaust Bumper

Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle Bumper Vehicle

Reactions: Grabber70Mach

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
I would prefer not to have a molested rear end. Without knowing who did the work on it, there is no way to know it it was done correctly even though the welds do look good. Someone could have done a great job on it, but it is hard to know for sure. Thinking I would return and request a refund.

I don't understand why so many ebay, craigslist, and marketplace sellers can't provide accurate descriptions and pictures of what they are selling, or even know what they are selling and have sold.

If locating a 9 inch or 8 inch is not going so well, what about an 8.8 maybe from an Explorer or fox body?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts