Vintage Mustang Forums banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
If the seller doesn’t soon reply I would contact eBay. You did everything right to ensure you got what you were looking for and the seller still sent you something else. Sounds shady to me

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Those tubes were welded very well. This guy is not an amateur based on the quality of those welds. Hopefully the housing is true, but based on the weld quality, i'd say the guy knows what he is doing. Is that a big bearing rear housing? I would not sweat the 1/8" total length difference. When you get the third member, check and see if the axles work and are not too long. They may be fine.
I agree on the quality of the welds and I am not worried about 1/8 inch. Just need to verify the trueness of the tubes. What I am upset about is that the axles provided are probably to long. Not sure of the origin of the housing. The ends have small bearings now. I already have a third member with 28 spline Eaton truetac. It's on the car now.

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
I guess the question is this, is the seller just a guy with car parts or is he associated with a drivetrain shop?

If you can verify that the housing and shafts are true, it should be usable. Do you have a loose center section to test assemble?

I guess since you already have a nice third member, switching to an 8 inch or 8.8 rather than a 9 inch wouldn't be as desirable.

·
Registered
5,185 Posts
Mustang 9"'s are somewhat rare and F100 9'"s are fairly common.

I've been wondering how long until someone started mass producing F100 modified 9"'s for the masses.

The good news is you can use the 11" backing plates.

·
Registered
10,889 Posts
Clearly not the same housing. Next question is the axles - the ones you received appear to be 28 spline vs the 31 spline in his original pictures.

For eBay, this is an open and shut case of "significantly not as described", so you are in control here.

Reactions: JSHarvey

·
Premium Member
7,718 Posts
I think you are overthinking this.

Ebay is simple, I have been selling on it for 22+ years, 95% of it Mustang parts.

Did you receive what you bought?

No

Go back to the ebay main screen, then My Ebay, then Purchase History.

Go to the item, click return this item.

Then click wrong item received. Add information (pictures also) and hit enter.

The work now goes to the seller to make things right.

You emailed, did not get a valid answer.

Stop messing around, just initiate the return.

·
Registered
21,626 Posts
I would definitely contact the seller first. You bought it based off the information given on a specific item and you got something else. If the information was given on what you received, would you have bought it in the first place? Contact eBay after that if you can't reach a agreement.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Mount a complete center section in the housing and attempt installing the the axles (with bearings.) If the bearing easily gets centered in the bore (without needing to force-ably prying the axles into place to center them) then the housing is true.

You could also put a little grease on the splines, insert the axles into the housing, bolt them in place, and then remove them to see how far the axles are inserted into the differential (at least an inch of usable splines is desirable.)

·
Registered
285 Posts
If you want the correct 65 9" housing it should have a smooth round back with a large fill plug.

ken

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Just return it (at the dishonest seller's expense). Document for ebay what you documented on this thread, and you'll get a full refund, and the seller will have to deal with the problems and expense caused by his misrepresentation.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
I negotiated the price and the bought the rear. However this is the rear that I received.
You say you negotiated the price? Was this a buy-it-now or a best-offer or an actual auction? Just pointing this out because if you negotiated the price, there may be a misunderstanding here in "A lower price means a lower trim package" in his mind while you are thinking "A lower price for this exact piece" Also...as far as auctions go, its rather common practice for sellers to use a generic picture, even on used parts so it would be hard to make a case just because a picture isn't the exact item you received.

Honestly, I doubt that the 1/16" is going to make any real difference at all. If the welds are good and the tubes are true...I would just roll with it. There are times when a slight difference is going to be a deal breaker and times when a slight difference is just being nitpicky, the question is what type of difference is this? That is for you to judge...in the end I myself would not bother disputing it unless the difference is going to make your wheels not fit, which is after all why you bought this.

·
Premium Member
762 Posts
My observation ?.................. You clearly have reservations about this ebay transaction (and rightfully so). The solution is easy as many have advised you already. Follow the ebay process to file a claim to return it and get your money back. This will put your mind at ease.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
You say you negotiated the price? Was this a buy-it-now or a best-offer or an actual auction? Just pointing this out because if you negotiated the price, there may be a misunderstanding here in "A lower price means a lower trim package" in his mind while you are thinking "A lower price for this exact piece" Also...as far as auctions go, its rather common practice for sellers to use a generic picture, even on used parts so it would be hard to make a case just because a picture isn't the exact item you received.

Honestly, I doubt that the 1/16" is going to make any real difference at all. If the welds are good and the tubes are true...I would just roll with it. There are times when a slight difference is going to be a deal breaker and times when a slight difference is just being nitpicky, the question is what type of difference is this? That is for you to judge...in the end I myself would not bother disputing it unless the difference is going to make your wheels not fit, which is after all why you bought this.
The seller and I had email traffic back and forth during which I confirmed that the rear end was 52.25 inches, and that the housing I was receiving was the one pictured. I asked him if he would take less and he agreed. Housing that showed up was 52 3/8, and one of the axles was 1/2 inch to long. I am not worried about the housing length, but there is supposed to be 1 1/8 space between the two axle ends. With the axles supplied I would have only had 3/4 inch. I think the axles would have bottomed out on the carrier or the carrier pin wouldn't have passed through the narrow space. I got a refund for the axles and purchased some that are the right size.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
The seller and I had email traffic back and forth during which I confirmed that the rear end was 52.25 inches, and that the housing I was receiving was the one pictured. I asked him if he would take less and he agreed. Housing that showed up was 52 3/8, and one of the axles was 1/2 inch to long. I am not worried about the housing length, but there is supposed to be 1 1/8 space between the two axle ends. With the axles supplied I would have only had 3/4 inch. I think the axles would have bottomed out on the carrier or the carrier pin wouldn't have passed through the narrow space. I got a refund for the axles and purchased some that are the right size.
Ah, so its an axle problem and not a housing problem? Might be easier to dispute only the axles then(at least shipping for returning it would be a lot cheaper). I might take the approach of just asking for a partial refund due to incorrect axles then just order new replacement axles elsewhere.

P.S. And now that I finished reading what you wrote I see that's exactly what you did.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts