Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rarely buy on ebay anymore. Mostly resellers, very few guys like us that have extra parts and want to sell to someone who needs them.

I bought a C5OP-7976-A bell. $110 + $30 Shipping.

3 days later the seller emails me and states that he ran out of the bells and asks if I would accept a D2OP-7976-AA.. He says it will work in my application but is for a column shift.

Why is he selling an item he does not have? How does he know what my application is?

Anyway, Im hammering this guy on feedback and will most likely end up getting my money back since he cant produce the bell that he advertised and I bought.

Ebay used to boot sellers off, but doesnt anymore unless its criminal. Less sellers means less revenue.

Attachments

Reactions: BW66

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
It's hard to say what happened. I have sold a ton of stuff on eBay (feedback is 2,500+). Sometimes that stuff is also on Craig's List, so it could sell locally before having time to take down the eBay ad. The more items a seller has on the site, the harder it is to manage.

I do agree that it is odd that the seller has a different part number he says will work for your application, without knowing what that application is. I cannot say I know the two part numbers to understand if they are indeed interchangeable.

At least the guy fessed up and did not just send you the other part. Mistakes, while frustrating, do happen.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The guy has 3 items for sale on ebay.

Is it me, or is that a pretty small inventory?

900+ transactions, no negative feedback. Thats why I bought from him.

Anyway, I call BS. No excuse to advertise an item that you do not have.

BTW: A sale on ebay is a binding contract. Thats what they tell buyers who try and back out after winning an auction. It works both ways.

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Years back I got a set of 289 rods off Ebay. Or rather, seven 289 rods and one 302 rod. I still have that 'set.' Never did get any satisfaction out of that doof. I rarely buy from Ebay anymore.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
I have several C4 bellhousings for 66 and up...let me know what you need...I will make you a better deal than evilbay....

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
The guy has 3 items for sale on ebay.

Is it me, or is that a pretty small inventory?

900+ transactions, no negative feedback. Thats why I bought from him.

Anyway, I call BS. No excuse to advertise an item that you do not have.

BTW: A sale on ebay is a binding contract. Thats what they tell buyers who try and back out after winning an auction. It works both ways.
3 items is a small inventory for an eBay "etailer", not small for some guy cleaning out his shed.

The guy screwed up. Negative feedback is certainly justifiable.

The "contract" aspect of the transaction is a joke regardless of what side you are on. 99.999% of the transactions, like yours, are of such a small nature that cost to enforce the contract would exceed the transaction. As a seller I have had many dead beat buyers, so yes, it works both ways.

Bottom line is it sucks the guy does not have what you bought. Don't let it ruin your day.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Now Im really feeling pissy.

I reply to the sellers email and tell him the D2 bell is not acceptable. I want the item that he advertised in the auction.

I get no reply.

Now I get an email stating that the item has shipped.

I hope when I open that box it contains the C5 bell. If it doesnt, Im disputing the transaction and the seller can come to Byron Georgia from South Lyon Michigan and pick it up.

I will be happy to hold it for 30 days, then its abandoned property.

Ive always wanted to pour aluminum down an ant hill.

Thanks Coupster, I will let you know when I open the box on the 18th.

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
He punted. You are getting the 'replacement' and he will claim he substituted an equivalent part. This is the classic 'wait for it to go away' tactic. Burn up some days shipping the wrong thing, burn up some days ignoring the issue, soon, your dispute period is gone. Did you use Paypal/CC? Straight up ask him what he shipped. If not right, don't wait for it to show up before disputing the charge. Dispute it, tell him you did that and ask for a return label. If it is not what was advertised on arrival, do the same thing. Only way to get his attention.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I sold a top loader 4-speed on eBay for an elderly neighbor. I kept the 31 close ratio spline one he had for myself. I made a wooden pallet. bolted and banded the trans to it and shipped it off to Malibu, home of the mega rich. I received positive feedback on eBay. Then I got a call from UPS, the guy was claiming he only received the pallet and no trans I said, then why did he leave positive feedback? UPS said, we will just end up paying the claim. If you can't afford to build your Mustang commit mail fraud since we don't prosecute people anymore.

I shipped a pair of '39 Ford spindles to Texas. The guy claimed he only received one in the box, but he would be happy to pay for the left one. I said, no mail it back. I got one left spindle back. I had another pair and I stuck them in a box and took them to the post office, had them weighed and they gave me a shipping price. It was exactly the same to the penny as the first pair of spindles. I'm pretty sure both those spindles were in that first box.

I have something like 1300 transactions on eBay, 98% were purchases. Almost all related to my projects or photo and literature collection. I've had one that was scam from a foreign country and a few that legitimately vanished in the mail. A few that got delivered to wrong addresses but eventually found there way here. I have had more problems selling than buying. I have all kinds of parts I will never use and its just not worth trying to sell them. Unless I take them to car swap meet. Then how I can buy more stuff if I stuck in my sellers spot?

You only have so many days to file a claim on eBay. If you let the guy string you along past that date your screwed.

·
Registered
9,829 Posts
The D2OP-AA bell is a 73/74 Torino bell for the 250/302 with the cast in mount for the cable mount for a column shifter, and is a compatible replacement for the C5 bell.

I agree with you in principle that the seller should supply you with a C5 bell, but if it'll work in your application, it might be best to negotiate a partial refund and move on.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
when it gets there, if it's not the one you paid for, open a case with ebay , I don't remember the exact term they use, something along the line of Significantly not as described or something like that. use that option only, and you should get your money refunded

·
Registered
64 1/2 D Code Coupe,
3,326 Posts
It does go both ways. I sold a pair of original OEM headlight moldings from a 66 Coupe that must have been outside forever. The rest of the car was rusted away. These parts had the Ford part numbers in the molding. The buyer must had fond a nicer pair and insisted that my parts weren't real Ford parts because they didn't weigh as much the other parts he bought and wanted me to pay for shipping and refund his money. Hell, he only paid $15 for the pieces and it wasn't worth the hassle, I took the factory power steering and linkage out including the power steering box and shaft and used them in my coupe, minus the ps pump, sold the seats, sold the steering column and sold the hulk to a guy in who I suspect wanted the clear title and VIN, all on eBay.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The bell showed up today. It is the one I bought, but not the one that was pictured in the auction. The auction did state that he had 5, sold 4 and had 1 left.

I will need to clean it up and inspect it for cracks or damage, but I gave it a quick lookover when I unwrapped it and it looks pretty good.

·
Premium Member
4,357 Posts
Glad it worked out in the end.
20 years ago I guess it wouldn't have been and issue before the interweb, because we'd be driving around looking for parts or going to swap meets. I miss the thrill of the hunt, the smell of a junk yard or opening a car that has been closed for decades. I'm probably making a trip to a large city later this week to testify as an expert witness, and I'm going in my truck to detour by some places to look at some dusty parts... I can't wait.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We have a auto swap meet at the end of March here at the state fairgrounds. Im about 7 miles from there. Ive got a feeling that isnt going to happen this spring.

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Glad he didn't flake. Probably got the one he was keeping for his ride, lol.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts