Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering buying an aluminum 6 gauge instrument cluster for my 65. How is the fit on them when mating with the metal dash? Are they really that much better than the plastic reproductions?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Here's a photo of my '66 with a Scott Drake plastic cluster with Classic Instrument gauges. I got them all from CJ Pony. No problems with fitment.

·
Registered
65 GT Convertible Restomod
12 Posts
I used the Eddie Motorsport version and as stated above there wasn’t any issues..
DA5E2A27-E5B6-4282-8133-7525CA81FF60.jpeg

·
VMF Ambassador
6,655 Posts
If you really want to knock it out of the park, consider a HyePo 6-gauge bezel. It'll cost you more than the Scott Drake, but also looks very close to stock for a '65 - chrome 'eyebrow' and all:

Reactions: Huntingky

·
Registered
30 Posts
Kelly H,
That HyePo cluster looks really nice. Does the lower dash need to be modified for the bump out on the bottom edge of the bezel? My 65 didn't come with the GT 5 gauge cluster so my lower dash doesn't have the clearanced area.

Thanks
Steve

·
Registered
883 Posts
It's not the highest end, but I love the double bubble of my cluster. My biggest gripe (other than that it could be built better) is that it exposes a gap where the speedo used to be.

·
VMF Ambassador
6,655 Posts
Kelly H,
That HyePo cluster looks really nice. Does the lower dash need to be modified for the bump out on the bottom edge of the bezel? My 65 didn't come with the GT 5 gauge cluster so my lower dash doesn't have the clearanced area.

Thanks
Steve
Nope, the bump is just there for the cars that do have the divot :) No modification needed otherwise that I'm aware of - but you could always contact HyePo66 (Pete) here on VMF to ask him directly!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thanks Kelly. I didn't realize they were represented here. I do have some questions so I'll reach out to him. I do like the look of the full sweep gauges!

·
VMF Ambassador
6,655 Posts
I do like the look of the full sweep gauges!
Thanks! Those are Speedhut gauges with custom designed faces by yours truly :)

It's worth mentioning that Pete does sell the gauge clusters bundled with a couple of different gauge sets too, and they are actually a really good deal. If I wasn't so dead-set on making my own gauges the way I wanted them, I would have gone with his Comp II 60's Muscle on Black package, which is only $640 for the bezel and gauges! My Speedhuts cost me $740 for the gauges alone and they are still miles cheaper than custom Autometer gauges.

His site is here: 6-Gauge Bezel Gauge Bundle Sets

1 - 11 of 11 Posts