Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1964 1/2 289 4V engine w/ stock manifold. Installing a 1405 Edelbrock. What style gasket is correct to use between the stock manifold and the spacer? There are several styles that I have and not sure which to use ?

Open square?
Square 4 holes?
Square 2 holes and open on one side?

I am assuming that the spacer is correct - it has the PCV port on it and was on the car when I bought it 10 years ago.

Also prior to installing the new carb the car would start and only run a few seconds and as long as I kept my foot on the gas it would run but would not idle on its own ? Any ideas ?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Do you have fuel regulator on it? The Eddy's dont like pressures above 5.5psi. Mine would do that as I was pushing almost 10 psi. The extra pressure gets past the needle/seat and floods the engine at idle.

I plan to run 1406 on my 351C

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
+1 on Mikes note above....Edelbrock makes a low psi fuel pump you can use.....or just get a regulator if your current pump is fairly new.

This being said, you may have another issue. I was able to run about 7 psi to my 1405 without a problem, not knowing at the time about the overpressure problem on these carbs....

I usually try to match the gasket to the spacer, which should match the carb...hopefully you have a plastic/phenolic spacer (as opposed to aluminum) or you can boil the gas in the carb when hot...

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1405 Edelbrock

The spacer is aluminum but not an issue as the car does not run long enough to warm up. this issue with not running was present before the carb change.

No pressure regulator installed and I am still running the original "old" fuel pump.

After searching in the forum and me second guessing the issue I beleive it may be a problem with the electronic ignition module and will re-install the points and repsot to update.

Thanks for the suggestions.

**Whats a good thread sealant to use for gasoline applications ??

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Strange, I have never heard of the fuel pressure issue until this thread. Is it the same on the 500cfm variant? My car runs perfectly and has for years with no issues..... (I have a new 65, stock style fuel pump)

·
Registered
7,107 Posts
The spacer is aluminum but not an issue as the car does not run long enough to warm up. this issue with not running was present before the carb change.

No pressure regulator installed and I am still running the original "old" fuel pump.

After searching in the forum and me second guessing the issue I beleive it may be a problem with the electronic ignition module and will re-install the points and repsot to update.

Thanks for the suggestions.

**Whats a good thread sealant to use for gasoline applications ??
Hi

I've used a both a little Teflon tape, or thread sealant rated for fuel and oil use. You have to be careful with the tape as too much will interfere with the fine threads of the banjo bolt. NAPA has some small tubes of thread sealant for the job.
If it starts and and dies after you relax the throttle, then adjust the idle screw upward as it's, probably too low anyway. I've custom tuned and run a 1405 for a number of years and know they need a little help OTB.
Although the idle may a little too high, it will allow you to perform a few trouble shooting routines.
Attach a timing light and whatever you're using for reading the RPMs. Also, get yourself a eng vac gauge too.
Drop you idle to about 900 RPM, if you can.
Checking and adjust your timing, based on best practices. (plugged dizzy vac etc.)
Attach the vac gauge to the "Full" vac port on the Eddy, there should be two, I can't remember which one, but, your instructions will have it. A reading between 15-20", or so, is a good start with a steady needle.
With the engine warm, tweak ( in or out) the mix screws to obtain the highest vac reading for the given RPM. Do this for each screw. If see some success, drop the idle RPM back to whatever you feel comfortable with. Keep in mind if you are running a C4 the idle will need to be slight higher to compensate for the fluid drag on the engine.
Obviously, other engine components need to be in good condition, plugs, point gap etc. Unless your Pertronix is not set properl, to begin with, it should be OK.

Regarding the timing, I use a digital dial back light that has both a built in RPM and the timing read-outs. It is a terrific unit. I purchased it at one of the auto-supply stores.

There may be some other stuff going on, but, this is how I would approach.
As far as the carb flange gasket goes get one to match your 4 port aluminum spacer. I know that spacer, as well.
Keep us posted.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts