Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to set the idle mixture on my #1405. I turned the left screw in till it bottomed out, but the engine didn't stall or stumble. I then turned the right screw till it bottomed and the engine did stall. I had to back it out 3 turns to get it to idle decent. Does anybody know how far I should back out the mixture screws? I'm used to adjusting Holley's with the 1-1/2 turn rule. The engine's idle vacuum in neutral is only 10 h.g and idle in park is 8 h.g. The price I have to pay with a somewhat hot cam. I will try weaker step-up springs as recommended by Edelbrock with engines lower than 11 h.g. of vacuum.

'68 Coupe, 289, C4, 3.40 gears, GT-40P heads, TCI Streetfighter stall convertor.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
My experience with Carter/Edelbrocks is that you should turn the screw in until the idle speeds up. Continue turning slowly until it starts to falter. Back it out 1/2 turn.

Both screws should be at roughly the same position, so once your figure out where one should be set, use that as a guide. The fact that one screw has no effect on idle speed/quality is puzzling. Have you tried blowing thru the idle circuits with air or carb cleaner?

Glenn Morgan: 66 GT V-Burgundy Fastback 351w+toploader+9 in. TracLoc. Started out as a rusted-out Chicago-area crusher. After sacrificing a solid 66 coupe for its sheetmetal sub-assemblies, I have one solid (and expensive) work in progress!

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm using the dual plane Performer 289 manifold.

'68 Coupe, 289, C4, 3.40 gears, GT-40P heads, TCI Streetfighter stall convertor.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I sprayed carb cleaner through screw ports and liquid sprayed through the idle circuit on both sides. I'll try the air and see what happens.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts