Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to change the "nipple" input on my 1406 to a threaded line so I can put hard lines and a non plastic fuel filter on my 302. I have been researching, and think I have over confused myself. So, here are my questions if anyone can be of assistance, I would greatly appreciate it:

What part do I use to replace the nipple?
What size fuel line do I use to run from the carb to the pump?
How did you connect the hardline that comes in through the wheel well to the pump with out using a rubber hose?
What fuel filter did you like best?

Thank you!

·
Registered
999 Posts
I used the following parts from Summit. I connected the new filter to the original hard line with a short rubber hose. Sorry I don't have a picture.
I think you need a rubber hose from the chassis hard line to the pump to allow for the engine movement.

EDL-81263 BLACK SINGLE FEED LINE
SUM-230136B FUEL FILTER -6AN TO 3/8 – BLACK
EAR-AT920506 AN FITTING – 90 DEGREE

Reactions: dale1bre

·
Registered
300 Posts
Here is my thread on most of this topic. Fast forward to the end for parts list and pictures. I am still using a rubber line from the pump to wheel well. I also already had a thread-on connector on my 1406...

Thanks,
Rob

·
Registered
402 Posts
I used similar Edelbrock fuel line as CMJ68GT390 except in chrome and the filter was black. I used a Russel -6AN to 5/16 compression fitting and bent my own hard line from the filter to the fuel pump.
452A912B-01D0-4050-9559-3DC0184A5384.jpeg 659AFF8E-E18B-433D-A41B-561659389DF7.jpeg

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,620 Posts
I bought the steel line kit that goes into the carburetor at Autozone. (Kind of hate to admit I set foot in there, but anyway..) It rather surprised me by hanging out on display. I wondered about the quality of "Spectre" as a brand, but took a shot. After ten years of testing it seemed OK so I bought another two for other cars. Worked for me.
One car I made up a stainless steel braid line from there, the two others I bent steel fuel line. I actually kind of prefer the steel line. I'd use it more if it wouldn't rust over the years.

Reactions: dale1bre

·
Registered
999 Posts
Pictures!!
I don't have heat soak issues or I might not have gotten black. I rejected the other option - chrome - because I faintly remembered reading somewhere that the chrome can flake off and get in the fuel. Don't know if that's true. Is the inside of the line also chromed?

Mustang Fuel Line 1.jpg Mustang Fuel Line 2.jpg

·
Registered
35,852 Posts
I am looking to change the "nipple" input on my 1406 to a threaded line so I can put hard lines and a non plastic fuel filter on my 302. I have been researching, and think I have over confused myself. So, here are my questions if anyone can be of assistance, I would greatly appreciate it:

What part do I use to replace the nipple? See above
What size fuel line do I use to run from the carb to the pump? Whatever you'd like. You can use 3/8" or 5/16" with the appropriate adapter on either end. I'd just use a "factory" pre-bent line and "trim" the upper end as needed.
How did you connect the hardline that comes in through the wheel well to the pump with out using a rubber hose? You don't. You use rubber so that it can allow for movement of the motor on the motor mounts. Hard line will break in short order.
What fuel filter did you like best? I like the '65-style fuel pump with attached canister filter. That eliminates the need for an additional filter at the carburetor.

Thank you![/COLOR]

·
Just some guy
20,620 Posts
The inside is not chromed.

As is the Edelbrock kit above will put your fuel line pretty far forward. I used a 90 elbow right on the end of the chrome line to run the rest of the fuel line/filter right behind the distributor. As similar as all these chrome elbow lines look, I sure suspect one company is making them and a lot of others are just sticking their labels on them as they all look very suspiciously alike.

Reactions: Woodchuck

·
Just some guy
20,620 Posts
So it would appear, yes. Long fuel line there, looks like it's going to run all the way around in front of the distributor. I guess you can go that way if you want, but it's not a look I care for myself. Hence the mention of 90 degree elbows earlier in the thread.

·
Registered
35,852 Posts
Is that last fitting on the "adapter" (black pieces) a compression fitting? Is there a copper "ferrule" inside?

·
Just some guy
20,620 Posts
I just put a 90 degree elbow on the line. Then the filter, then the line.
I'm seeing a lot more going on in the picture than I have dealt with. Not all sure but I don't think that collection of snazzy black fittings are quite what you need for that plain steel line.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I just put a 90 degree elbow on the line. Then the filter, then the line.
I'm seeing a lot more going on in the picture than I have dealt with. Not all sure but I don't think that collection of snazzy black fittings are quite what you need for that plain steel line.
So you put the 90 degree on b4 the filter, I'll have to look at that as i am not sure there is room to move that and still bring it across. Thx. The only thing I added was the -6an dual femal connector to connect all the pieces as they would not go together any other way.

·
Just some guy
20,620 Posts
Like I said above, I've done three that way. A 302, a 5.0, and a 351W. A 90 and across behind the distributor was no problem on all three.
I usually only use AN fittings when I am working with stainless braid type lines.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts