Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little help please. I've searched this topic and found lots of hits but some questions are still unanswered.

The details, I'm converting my 65 289 A code Auto from a 4100 to an edelbrock 1406 because the old 4100 is tired and runs way too rich and I'm tired of adjusting on it. I'm still planning to use the original intake manifold.

1) Can I use the current carb plate and leave the PCV valve connected to it?

2) Does anybody know of a way to hook up the throttle linkage so that it will still operate the linkage activated tranmission kick down?

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
I can't help you with #1. However, with #2, I threaded a ball stud (available at the local hardware store) on the end of my throttle linkage. Also, these guys appear to have a setup ready for you.
http://www.autoworks.cc/images/Total_Control_Products_linkage_large.jpg

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Yes, you can use the factory spacer with the vacumn fitting (for PCV), but a better setup would be a phenolic spacer. The carb will be cooler and much happier with plastic underneath it. The 1406 has a full-time vacumn port on its backside that can be used for the PCV.

Regarding the linkage, I did something very similar to what Steve has done, only I modified the stock rod (and used heim-joint fittings like Steve's setup). I could not find the heim joints anywhere except at WW Grainger's but that doesn't mean hardware stores in your area won't carry them.

I got the linkage idea from ShanMan, who has posted pics of the 1406 setup on his old coupe a number of times.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
#1 Yes, but you'll have to plug the PCV fitting on the front of the carb. I agree with Glen ... toss the factory spacer, use a phenolic one, still plug the PCV fitting on the front of the 1406, and use the port on the back of the carb (much cleaner looking setup).

#2 Should work fine with the '65 kickdown. I recall SacBill putting a 1406 on his old '65 and was able to retain the stock kickdown. On '66-'68's, the kick down is much easier, and on '69/later, you're suppossed to buy Edlebrock's kickdown adapter wich is a flat out piece of garbage that doesn't work worth a damn. For my daughter's '69, I'm using the Lokar cable for the kickdown istead. You could do the same on your '65, but probably won't need to (although it looks much cleaner/cooler with the Lokar cable).

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
If the engine is basically stock and you're not going to rev it over 5000 rpm, I'd put a 500 cfm Edelbrock on it instead of the 600 cfm one. That's what I put on the 289 HiPo in my 67 GT350 and I've found it to be plenty of carb up to 5000 rpm. Also, by doing a little bit of grinding on the Edelbrock carb linkage I got the stock throttle rod to connect to the carb using the stock spring clip. I can send you a picture if you want.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
For the throttle I took the stock throttle rod and threaded the end that goes to the throttle on the carb with 10-32. Put a flat washer against the bend, the threaded end through the hole on the carb linkage and a 10-32 lock nut behing the linkage. Looks like it was made that way. The rod is the correct base diameter for 10-32.

I also used the Lokar kickdown setup. Mainly because I busted my kickdown rod when I tried to loosen it up!

Frank

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
i had the 1406 with my stock kickdown and it worked just fine, i now have the 1404, still works just fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts