Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to purchase a used edelbrock 1406 carb., 1000 mi. and I would like to know if I need any special linkage or anything else to install this or will it bolt right on. It came off a 70 Must 351c. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
Don't know specifically about the 351 but the stock accelerater used on 289 and 302's does not make up directly to the 1406 throttl linkage-although you'd think by now that Edelbrock would address this.

There are several sources for linkages including Summit Racing and JEGS's (I think) for an aftermarket linkage. There are also several "Do it Yourself" methods but the 351 may be different than the 289/302.

Good luck-nice carb.

J. Boggs

·
Registered
683 Posts
I have just purchased a 1406 for my 68 289. Do you have details of what is involved in the DIY linkage you reference? I would be interested to know how.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
On a '65-'68, you'll need to adapt the linkage. From '69 on, it's a direct bolt up, assumming you have a square bore 4-v intake.

On my '65 and '66 (both have a 1406), I used the Mr. Gasket "universal carburator bushing" to adapt it to the stock linkage. This part is available from Summit, Jegs, or any speed shop. It costs about $10, and bolts into the big hole of the carb's bell crank. Then you clip off the 90 deg. bend on the end of the throttle rod, slide the throttle rod into the carburator bushing, and tighten down the supplied screw. It's a quick easy installation, and looks as good as it works.

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
JohnPros is probably the most elegant, dependable and safe solution, but this is what I did.

Disclaimer: This assumes that the 289/302 and 351 connections are basically the same.

OK, the stock linkage makes up to the carb via a clip that secures it in place at the throttle. The 1406 makes no provision for this connection, but has several holes that are in positions to accept a linkage. One is the largest hole like Johnpro, essentially makes the hole small enough to accept the end of the linkage with the clip removed. What I did on mine was to drill a small hole through top end of my throttle linkage (I was surprised to find out that the linkage was hollow and easy to drill), insert the end into a nearby hole on the carb and secure it with a small cotter pin. I used a small washer to keep the link in place, and made sure I bent the cotter pin out of the way so that the throttle had no chance of getting hung up. Then you make you adjustments on the other end to make sure the throttle bottoms out at the right place.

I must admit, Johnpros solution is more reliable and looks better. I've seen this same set up on lot's of hotrods and chevies with Edelbrocks. Do a search on Edelbrocks or 1406's or something like that. Someone makes a connection linkage piece that bolts all the way to the pedal connector then to the carb.

Good luck. Make sure you have absolutely no chance of a hanging throttle before you call it finished.

J. Boggs

Sorry, didn't edit the poor sentences before getting called to dinner. You can probably fiqure out what I am getting at. If not, come back.

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
I did basically the same thing on my 1405/289 (now 351W). I used a small hole forward of the big hole that was just the right size for my throttle rod. A kotter pin holds it in place. I didn't get full throttle because of the pedal geometry so I had to remove the pedal assembly and bend it so that the pedal rested at the correct height when not pushed. I wanted to just make more threads on the throttle rod, but the diameter of the rod is smaller after the threads (DOH). Works well, but for $10 you're probably better off getting the aftermarket deal. I bought one and couldn't figure out how to make it work, so I returned it and di the "do it yourself" method. Good luck whatever you decide /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Shane

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
My stock throttle linkage slipped right into a hole on the 1406 and I used a piece of vacuum line squeezed over the end to hold it in place. I think I've always meant to do something more substantial, but it's held for three or four years.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts