Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just want some opinions on the edelbrock and barry grant
Road Demon Jr. carbs. I have a 302 with headers, edelbrock
performer intake, HEI distributor, and everything else is stock. Its going to be rebuilt. Im not quite sure which to go with yet.

·
Registered
388 Posts
For stock like drivability go w/ the edelbrock carb. I used to run a carter 625(now listed as the edelbrock 600) on an old chevy truck w/ a mild 350, it started w/o having to pump the gas, the choke worked like it should everytime. Tuning is extremely simple if you pick up the edelbrock book or print it off the net.

a few years ago I picked up an 84 fox body w/ a 302 that had the performer intake, performer cam and carb combo on it. the car was a blast to drive, ran about as good as a roller cam HO car w/ a good tune up.

throttle response wasn't always as crisp as it is on the other choices but economy was much better than expected.

I've had about 10 different carb combos over the last 10 yrs and unless the person is all about flat out performance I always steer them towards the edelbrock/carter

·
Registered
21,011 Posts
I can't comment comment on the Grant or Demon carb but I 2nd the Edelbrock. Got a 600 Edelbrock (1406) on my stock 302 in my 66. I bought it used. It runs very nice and very easy to make adjustments to. No reason not to use an Edelbrock, you won't regret it.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
I tried two different series Holley 600's on my '67 coupe and kept fiddlin' with em' and decided to try a BG 625Jr. on my stock 289 with Weiand hirise. Picked it up used in good cond. and it ran like a top, really like the sight glass's in the float bowls, first carb. I've owned I could polish! I'll be putting it back on my 289 that's now stroked to 333 and will see if I need to change jets. If it's too small I'll be replacing it with another BG, I really like these carbs and the custom tweaks they add. Super smooth contour bores!
I added a 1/2" phenolic spacer under the carb. which helped a lot with percolation and really lowered the temp of the carb.
Jon

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
+1 on the Edelbrock 600...I used one on my latest build and it is really trouble free and easy to tune...this coming from a guy who was a die-hard holley fan...
Tom

1 - 6 of 6 Posts