Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two questions.
1) Are Edelbrock carbs simply Carter carbs with the Edelbrock name on them?

2) Are they any good?

I ask because Edelbrock offers a package with Intake, Carb and Cam.

Let me know what you think.

G

·
0 Posts
They are a good street carb. I have a couple of buddies that ran them on slightly modified 350s with good results. If you bought the edelbrock package and mated it with a half way decent exaust system you should be happy.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
You're probably not getting many responses, because of the size of your sig pic. Modem users aren't waiting for it to load, and us high speed guys can't find the "reply" link because it's scrolled off the screen, even though I run a 1024x768 resolution. Your car is beautiful, but you need to reduce the size of your sig pic.

Ok, now that you've been chastized, I'll answer your question, or at least give my opinion.

Everything I've read and heard says the Edelbrock is a Carter body with Edelbrock internals. They're very good carbs. I have the 1406 on my '66 and son's '65 and the 1405 on my daughter's '69 (although I converted it to electric choke).

For a stock to mildly built engine, they'll run perfect right out of the box. For more radical setups like my '66, it did require a metering rod change to rid the off line stumble it had. The metering rod change literally took me 5 minutes to do on the Edelbrock (and was done with carb on the vehicle). From what I hear, changing jets on them is a tad more complicated, so requires another 5 minutes /forums/images/icons/wink.gif.

I love the Edelbrock carbs. Every hot rod I've ever owned had a Holley on it until my current 4 Mustangs. The Edelbrocks IMHO, perform just as well, but tune WWAAAYYY easier.

G

·
0 Posts
In responce to your question on my post, I intalled the performer package...not the performer rpm package. I have not fired it up as I still need a new radiator and the rest of the exhaust. I did put a set of nickel try y's on it but thats as far as it goes. Who knows, my neighbors may just have to suffer a little!!!

Sanford

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
I like the Edelbrock carbs for street driven setups and daily driver cars. As mentioned above, you an usually use them right out of the box unless you have an aggressive setup.
I tried to order the performer package a couple of weeks ago, but there was a nasty backorder (160 days +) on the cam package due to a lifter shortage. I ended up getting a Ford Motorsports cam with the same grind as the Edelbrock Performer and some house lifters from PAW.
If you are getting an Edelbrock carb for a daily driver, I would recommend getting the automatic choke (something like #1406) - IMO it is nicer for a daily driven car.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I agree that the Edelbrock carb runs well on a daily driver. While they run great out of the box, I found that it was a bit rich and I was only getting around 14 mpg. My tunning with jets, needles, and springs i was able to get a consistent 16-17 mpg around town and 20 on a road trip to Salt Lake City. This engine is stock except for Eldebrock card and Performer manifold.

Brian

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
21,234 Posts
Edelbrock basically bought out Carter and yes, the carb is still basically just an AFB. For a simple bolt-on-and-go upgrade, the Edelbrock is hard to beat. Our local carb expert/rebuilder approves. He prefers Holleys for out+out performance but states they tend to be finicky and need regular attention. I think most VMFers will agree.
A lot will swear the Ford 4100 is hands down the best of all of them. The Edelbrock is a good medium performance/good reliability choice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts