Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine has an Edelbrock F4B intake on his 302. I remember a post about them a while back, but since the search engine doesn't like 3 letter words, I can't find it.

I know it's Edelbrock's knock-off of the early Cobra intake. How does it rate compared to the current Edelbrock intakes, like the Performer, Performer RPM, etc.?

Just for clarification of what I'm talking about, there's a few on ebay, Like this one.
Thanks.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I haven't seen anything about how it rates compared to modern design manifolds, but I remember when the Edelbrock Torker came out (the original "twisted" Torker) that I saw a dyno comparison and the Torker made just a few less peak HP, but had a wider power band and much more power at idle up to peak power.

Since I would think that many modern design manifolds are designed better than the 30-year old Twisted Torker design, I imagine an old F4B is good for nostalgia and moderate performance, but is inferior for maximum performance.

Hell, put it on your car anyway. It looks different from all the modern intakes. That is why I hang onto my old Weiand COLT 65 intake manifold, because it looks different and gets a lot of attention.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I emailed Edelbrock with the same question. I have a Shelby intake that is the same as an F4B and I also have a Performer RPM. The tech guy said that the RPM would make "a bit more torque and horsepower under the curve" but that the F4B/Shelby/Cobra would make just a little bit more peak horsepower.

-Joseph Knight

·
Registered
192 Posts
I don't have any direct experience with that intake but I think the tech
article linked below from Jason Fletchers carbed Ford webpage is an
interesting read. Reprint of some '88 Super Ford intake shootout. I think
it pre-dates the Performer RPM and Weiand Stealth but includes a number of
others including the stock Ford 4V, Performer, Ford Motorsport Cobra (Ford's
knockoff of the Shelby / F4B manifold), ...
http://www.jason.fletcher.net/tech/intakes/intakes.htm

For those not interested in the read basically the Cobra/F4B had very similar
low end performance as the Performer, but did much better above 4500RPM where
the Performer just crashed. Of course results might be very different with
different carb, cam, heads, etc.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Pretty good intake.

I'm running the Cobra intake on the 347 in my 67 GT350. The F4B is identical to that intake.

You WILL have sealing problems with the carb pad unless you use a solid spacer between the carb and intake. I've used a 1/16" metal spacer, a 1" phenolic spacer and an Edelbrock insulating spacer (3/8" thick, part #9266) with success.

·
Registered
524 Posts
The F4B is a good intake, perfect if you want the old school look and good performance. They do get top dollar for them on e-bay. I have one that I will be using on my Vert that I have had for about 25 years now. Let me know how it performs on the car, might be awhile before I get mine together.

Ductman

1 - 6 of 6 Posts