Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at a set of Edelbrock Performer heads. They have 1.90 valves, Stud mounted Rockers and guide plates. Best I can tell they should be part number 603289 which have 60 cc chambers and 170 runners. They are listed for 65-95 289/302 engines. I am thinking about using them on my 94 GT. Best I can tell the only difference between them and the 5.0 heads (60379) is the Rocker studs If they were 5.0 heads they would be set up for Pedestal rockers. The heads apparently have never been used but have been sitting on a shelf for years. They have some rust on the springs and guide plates, but otherwise look perfect.

I have a 94 Cobra Intake, Hooker Headers, 24 lb injectors, 70 BBK Throttle body & matching MAF. Will add a mild cam and a tuning chip, under drive pulley's, Off Road H-Pipe and Magnaflow Cat back.

I have an ancient (Early 80s) set of 1.6 ratio Crane rockers in perfect condition I can use with them

Any thoughts on using these heads with this combination? Any reason I should look for a 5.0L set of heads and reuse my stock pedestal rockers instead?

Whats's a fair price for the heads? They went for $1600 when new, and go for $1800 now.

·
Registered
10,181 Posts
I got a set of used Performer 5.0 heads last spring for my GT40P, really nice heads the pair was 800.
You might need custom pushrods with stud mount rocker set up but other wise should work

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Flade, if you ever sell that 94 cobra intake, let me know ASAP. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The other choice I am looking at is a pair of early Twisted Wedge 170 heads. They are also new but have been sitting for years. The guy is asking $820 for them.

Any reason to prefer the TW over the Performer?

·
Registered
1,281 Posts

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Flade, if you ever sell that 94 cobra intake, let me know ASAP. Lol

There is one for sale in Norfolk. I have a Fox body Cobra Intake of you are interested in that.

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry, must be a date coded 94 cobra intake. I have a 3,800 mile cobra. Need a upper and lower, throttle body, mass air too.

What date do you need? Once I switch over to the intake, I also be adding the BBK TB & MAF, so my old ones will be available.

·
Registered
884 Posts
The other choice I am looking at is a pair of early Twisted Wedge 170 heads. They are also new but have been sitting for years. The guy is asking $820 for them.

Any reason to prefer the TW over the Performer?
Head choice can be a personal philosophy kind of thing, but there are many reasons to like the twisted wedge heads more than the edelbrock heads imho.

Sent from my LG-D631 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Wow, $1800 is a lot for those heads. For that price there are much better heads out there, and no reason not to get the RPM for the same price. I would prefer the TW also, not to mention the hardware rust that needs to be addressed on those Eddy's.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
I forgot to mention, the Twisted Wedge may require pistons with larger fly cuts as the valves are relocated. Just something to check.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
What date do you need? Once I switch over to the intake, I also be adding the BBK TB & MAF, so my old ones will be available.

I think it’s an E4 casting. Not to concerned with month dates, my car is a late build so I can use earlier stuff. Pm me when your ready

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I forgot to mention, the Twisted Wedge may require pistons with larger fly cuts as the valves are relocated. Just something to check.
Interesting to know. Most heads I have been looking at say I can run the 2.02 valves with the stopcock 94 pistons without issue. I wonder if this is true for the TW heads?

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Interesting to know. Most heads I have been looking at say I can run the 2.02 valves with the stopcock 94 pistons without issue. I wonder if this is true for the TW heads?
From what I understand you should be fine, but it would be worth doing some research. I know it's come up often on The Corral.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Sorry, the knowledge I have pretty much stops with the older stangs. Funny though, when I bought my '66 in 1983 it was newer than a 1994 is today.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
On my 94 cobra the wedge heads needed the pistons fly cut for those heads. So I went with AFR heads instead with the 2.02 intake valve. I was also running the ford racing Z cam.

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
The Performer heads were designed to be a no-brainer and will be a drop in with a mild cam (consider the Performer cam if you want drop in) and likely fit a mild bump stockish motor.

Rode in Brad's 2nd66 car last weekend on an autocross course, pulls very respectably, you will like it! TW will likely make more power IF you build a motor combo to match them. Think system design or you will be disappointed.

I would not believe anyone on clearance except a motor builder that does 302s regularly with TW. Otherwise, I'd be playing with clay to convince myself and that is a crap shoot unless you get set the motor up correctly with right length pushrods to be sure. You will notice the car stops and turns better with aluminum heads, they also run cooler. Definite plus.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts