Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son did back to back dyno pulls on a 347 they just built for a customer with two different intakes. The RPM Air-Gap gave the engine a 28 HP gain up top over the 289 Performer. He said he got another 5 or 6 HP out of it later with additional tuning.

The customer is concerned with hood clearance which is why they were looking at the 289 intake. After they shared the results the customer decided to go with the Air-Gap. Said he would figure out the clearance issue.

Attachments

·
Registered
225 Posts
Interesting results and thanks for sharing your real world info. I just finished surfing the web about intakes on 347's and read that the power diff between those 2 intakes was in the 5-10 hp range. One possible reason for the large difference in your case was maybe the Performer didn't fit the gasket or head ports as well as the air-gap? The air-gap does have 10% larger port volume and a more direct shot to the head than the performer. From my fuzzy memory the air gap is 5/8 or 3/4 taller than the performer. So all that will help with the upper RPM power.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting results and thanks for sharing your real world info. I just finished surfing the web about intakes on 347's and read that the power diff between those 2 intakes was in the 5-10 hp range. One possible reason for the large difference in your case was maybe the Performer didn't fit the gasket or head ports as well as the air-gap? The air-gap does have 10% larger port volume and a more direct shot to the head than the performer. From my fuzzy memory the air gap is 5/8 or 3/4 taller than the performer. So all that will help with the upper RPM power.
I agree that there is probably a little more in play because 28hp is huge difference. The engine (cam) was designed for the Air-Gap. Not sure if with a different cam would the difference not be as great.

With that said, when I replaced my Stealth with the Air-Gap, my butt dyno reported a significant difference.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Have tested the stealth against rpm, torker original warmed over a bit and torker II on my 460 in my dualy with ported heads and mild cam. The stealth did the worst conclusion it would do best on a big stroker build based on port cross section sizes.
the orig torker and rpm close to the same the torker II kicked butt on all of them

·
Registered
391 Posts
The customer is concerned with hood clearance which is why they were looking at the 289 intake. After they shared the results the customer decided to go with the Air-Gap. Said he would figure out the clearance issue.
I have an Air Gap RMP on a 302 in my '66 Mustang using a dropped base 13X3 inch air cleaner. Its close but does not interfere with the hood.

·
Dimples
3,646 Posts
It's my understanding that the performance difference between a Performer RPM and Performer RPM Air Gap is nominal, while the non-Air Gap RPM version is shorter and can therefore buy you some hood clearance. That's what I have and clearance is not an issue.

·
Banned
2,711 Posts
What year mustang is it going into? I've seen guys use an air gap intake on 351w's in 67/68 mustangs with the stock hood. I can't foresee why there would be an issue in a 65/66 with a 302 based motor, which is about 1.5 shorter than a 351w, unless he used a carburetor spacer. If you're set on using the air gap intake I'd recommend some adjustable motor mounts like the Ron Morris ones. They will allow you to adjust the height of the engine so if you did have a clearance (height) issue, it should fix that. If that solely didn't fix it you could also use a drop base or low profile air cleaner. Either or should fix the issue if it arose, using both I would think would have no issues whatsoever.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What year mustang is it going into? I've seen guys use an air gap intake on 351w's in 67/68 mustangs with the stock hood. I can't foresee why there would be an issue in a 65/66 with a 302 based motor, which is about 1.5 shorter than a 351w, unless he used a carburetor spacer. If you're set on using the air gap intake I'd recommend some adjustable motor mounts like the Ron Morris ones. They will allow you to adjust the height of the engine so if you did have a clearance (height) issue, it should fix that. If that solely didn't fix it you could also use a drop base or low profile air cleaner. Either or should fix the issue if it arose, using both I would think would have no issues whatsoever.
Not sure what it is going into. My son works in a machine shop building crate motors...being built for one of their customers. Personally I have the air gap on my 66 with a stock hood. It is close, but it fits.

·
Dimples
3,646 Posts
If they compared the regular Performer (and not the RPM) version against the Performer RPM Air Gap I could see that kind of difference happening. The OP wrote 289 Performer, not Performer RPM.
Right. Conventional wisdom says that the regular RPM is very similar to the RPM Air Gap as far as performance goes. The only reason the regular RPM is in the conversation is for hood clearance.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If they compared the regular Performer (and not the RPM) version against the Performer RPM Air Gap I could see that kind of difference happening. The OP wrote 289 Performer, not Performer RPM.

Correct, it was a 289 performer. From what I understand, it is basically an aluminum version of a stock manifold. (I could be wrong)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
725 Posts
I agree with Greg, sounds like they tested the regular Edelbrock Performer which is only good for completely stock engines. Going to the Edelbrock Performer RPM or Air Gap on a 347ci would should have shown a huge performance increase so sounds about right. The RPM and Air Gap seem to flow about the same from most stuff I have read. Man look at that Torque, can't see the range but looks like a fun car to drive.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
It's my understanding that the performance difference between a Performer RPM and Performer RPM Air Gap is nominal, while the non-Air Gap RPM version is shorter and can therefore buy you some hood clearance. That's what I have and clearance is not an issue.
the 289/302 versions of the RPM and Air Gap are the same height.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What year mustang is it going into?
So I got some more information over the weekend. It is actually going into a Triumph...I can see why hood clearance is going to be an issue.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts