Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have a 289/302 engine from 1968, and i am looking for small powerupgrades.
The Edelbrock 2122 camshaft kit seems like a nice upgrade to match my edelbrock intake and 500cfm carb.
But i have some questions:
-First of all, what parts is necessary to install with the cam? (Chain, springs etc.?)
-The engine is from 1968, i heard that Ford used a "Press-in-postive-stop" rocker arms studs. Will these be able to not come loose with the new cam and perhaps stronger springs (if necessary?).

Thanks a lot from the other side of the atlantic :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sounds like a great plan. That cam should be fine, but you could likely do better than that old "chevy" grind - yes to new timing set, your press in studs and rail rockers will be fine too - and while you could get away with stock springs, upgrading would keep the valves on the seats at higher rpm, preventing " float". I would use chevy"z28" springs and vortec retainers - much cheaper and lighter, but need to cut the spring seats - if the heads are coming off, have them cut a bit for more compression (i assume they are 2v heads) and clean up the exhaust side (see how things can snowball LOL) - Dont forget to re-curve your distributor for the new set up - add a set of tri y headers and some deeper gears in the rear and your car will move along nicely - obviously this can all be done in stages....have fun!

·
Registered
9,866 Posts
I used the Jegs version of that cam(448/472) in my old 289 I didn't have the time or money for upgrades So I just reused the 50 year old springs and stock press in studs. I'm sure it cost me a few RPM's up top still it was a nice boost from stock a great price

·
Registered
9,028 Posts
Don't need to spend twice as much for the same cam. Edelbrock is just selling fourty year old cam designs at a premium price. That 204/214 ~ .448/.472 cam has been sold by at least ten different cam companies. I ran the Melling MTF1 version in my first 302 rebuild. It's a great cam for a near-stock engine.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
^^^ Yep, I ran that grind by Isky on a basically stock engine. Go with a new double roller timing chain. Next upgrade should be headers...

·
Registered
109 Posts
If you're going to have the heads off, then you might want to go to new valve springs. Along with your timing set you should make sure you get new lifters. The cam and intake will give you a little better intake air but the stock exhaust may cause a bit of flow restriction.

·
Registered
33,979 Posts
Which manifold matters. The Performer is really no better than the stock iron 4V manifold. The Performer RPM is a substantial upgrade.

The cam in that kit would be fine with a Performer. It's what we used to call a trailer-towing cam. A good street setup with the Performer and 500 cfm carb.

·
Registered
15 Posts
It will be fine, I’m running the summit 3600 cam with an rpm air gap intake and an avs2 500cfm with stock springs

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Which manifold matters. The Performer is really no better than the stock iron 4V manifold. The Performer RPM is a substantial upgrade.

The cam in that kit would be fine with a Performer. It's what we used to call a trailer-towing cam. A good street setup with the Performer and 500 cfm carb.
The Performer is similar to stock at lower RPM, but once you get to about 3,500 RPM the Performer starts to separate (to some degree) in both HP and torque:

SBF Intake Comparison

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you to all for the reply's! I am just so damn in doubt what to do, because i want a reliable engine so my concern is just if those pressed in rocker studs moved out.. i am considering if the best option would be to install the cam but stay with stock springs so i don't put too much pressure on the studs

1 - 12 of 12 Posts