Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have experience with the advantages of a performer manifold over a stock iron 4V manifold for a 351C. Just wondering if the cash outlay for an aluminum manifold is going to show me improved performance. Believe me up here in Canada we pay alot for everything.

G

·
0 Posts
well for one its alot easier to install cuz it wieghs less than half ur iron manifolds weight. i have a performer on my 289 and i really like it, but i threw in a bigger cam, carb, and bored the block, headders, etc. if u want a massive power improvement u should do it with a package rather than changing one thing. either way, in my onpion, i would rather have an edelbrock intake over the stock intake any day of the week, it is a very good start. but then again i dont know much.

G

·
0 Posts
The Performer intake probably is tuned to give more power and torque over a wider range of rpm's, and it weighs alot less. If the engine is stock, near stock, or a stock HP model, stick with the iron intake. Otherwise, go to a Performer RPM of Weiand Stealth. Just try to package the change (intake, carb, cam, exhaust) to maximize the overall benefit.

Thanks,

Mike
'66 Springtime Yellow Coupe
289, slightly warmed over
driven daily

G

·
0 Posts
Too bad there is not a Performer RPM intake for the 4v Cleveland.... The Performer intake apparently has about the same performance characteristics as the stock manifold, though I've read also that the performer uses smaller than stock runners to improve low rpm power. I would say the biggest advantage of a Performer on a stock or near stock engine would simply be the weight reduction. That is why I used one. I'm happy with it but I can't compare it to a stock unit since I never had one on this engine. That is my unprofessional 2 cents worth anyway.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts