Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed the new Pro-Flo 4 in a '65-'66? Wondering about hood clearance and what worked for you.

Thank you!
-Kyle

·
Registered
410 Posts
I have a recent post about the pro flo 4 on a 390 in a 67, where I requested stock 390 air cleaner to hood clearance. While but directly relating, I realized that the pf4 is not only taller than stock, it doesn't have the 6 degree forward angle that the stock manifold flange does. That alone makes the biggest difference. In don't think I'll fit under the stock hood without milling the manifold flange downward and tilted forward. I'll also need to use a carb hat too. Sorry it's not directly related to your application but thought it might give some food for thought.

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
I have a 5.0 in my 66 and clearance with the Proflo 4 is fine. View attachment 741161
Awesome car! When I first looked at the Pro-Flow it was available in 450 and 550 HP for the small block Windsor. Now I see them listed as 550 and 650 HP capable so apparently they upped the numbers on both units by a 100 HP? I'm assuming your running the 5 1/2" tall manifold?

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I'll be installing the Pro-flo 4 soon. It can be adapted to higher horsepower applications by using larger injectors and higher fuel pressure. Its sold in 2 versions, one with 29lb injectors and another with 36lb but injectors larger than that are available. They also now have a version of software that can be downloaded to support boosted applications.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looking at the stats, the higher HP version also has a taller manifold. Mac-427 is yours the 29lb injector version or the 35lb version? Is that a drop base air cleaner?

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
While I cannot recall where I saw it, somewhere an Edelbrock representative stated that the manifolds are all the same and the differences in the HP ratings was simply due to fuel injector sizing. However there is some info out there that indicates one uses a victor Jr and the other uses a super victor.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
From the Edelbrock site:

35930 manifold height: 5.5". Throttle body height: 2.25"

35940 manifold height: 6.35". Throttle body height: 2.25"

·
Registered
123 Posts
Looking at the stats, the higher HP version also has a taller manifold. Mac-427 is yours the 29lb injector version or the 35lb version? Is that a drop base air cleaner?
I have the 550 hp version which is plenty for my application. I used Play Dough to check the hood clearance. The air cleaner base is the regular one. Billet Specialties offers a drop base but it was not needed in my application.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Is there any advantage to the Edelbrock over say the Holley Sniper or is it just preference?
Edelbrock is a multi-port injection system, rather than a batch fire throttle body system like the Sniper. The system can tune the air fuel ratio at each cylinder, rather than trying to average the eight. The Sniper houses the ecm in the throttle body itself which some claim subjects it to a lot of heat. Edelbrock allows remote installation of the ecm. Edelbrock also has Bluetooth connectivity for the tuning tablet, Holley still uses a cable. Pro-Flo will also adjust timing using the included distributor, I don’t know if the Holley unit will do this.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Edelbrock is a multi-port injection system, rather than a batch fire throttle body system like the Sniper. The system can tune the air fuel ratio at each cylinder, rather than trying to average the eight. The Sniper houses the ecm in the throttle body itself which some claim subjects it to a lot of heat. Edelbrock allows remote installation of the ecm. Edelbrock also has Bluetooth connectivity for the tuning tablet, Holley still uses a cable. Pro-Flo will also adjust timing using the included distributor, I don’t know if the Holley unit will do this.
Got no dog in this hunt and in general would agree the multi port is better than TBI. However is the Edelbrock really "tuning each cylinder" There is only one O2 sensor so you really think it is getting any feedback whatsoever to tune each injector. My guess is all 4 injectors are getting the same pulse.

Other pros and cons

Sniper cheaper
Sniper possibly less reliable with ECM on throttle body
Sniper easier to install
Sniper no control over timing.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Mac-427 when you say you have the 550hp version, do you mean the larger one with the 35lb injectors or the smaller one with the 29lb injectors? Sorry to bother you with this. They use different height manifolds. If the bigger one will fit, I'd like to use it. Any chance you have the part number? Based on the manifold heights, I think the smaller system uses a Victor Jr manifold and the larger one uses a Super Victor.

Cruising and Quicksilver, the more practical advantage of port injection over TBI is that you get more even AFRs with TBI. Not because you tune individual injectors, but because with the injector in each intake, the amount of fuel is more precisely controlled at all velocities. TBIs are very dependent on their manifold for even fueling (much like carbs). I doubt that the ProFlo4 has the ability to tune individual injectors. It has a very basic ECU/software package. But for a street car, it's all you need. There is a reason the OEMs moved from TBI to Port injection. The current crop of TBIs are a pretty great value and upgrade over most carbs. But a port injection setup takes it one step further.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I have the larger one but I haven't put it in my 65 yet. I have been wanting to test fit it before i buy the air cleaner so I know what kind of problem I may be causing myself. I plan on testing it with the stock 65 motor mounts, but ultimately using Ron Morris adjustable mounts with 1/2" drop. I will see if I can get it set in there in the next few days to get a measurement.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Cruising and Quicksilver, the more practical advantage of port injection over TBI is that you get more even AFRs with TBI. Not because you tune individual injectors, but because with the injector in each intake, the amount of fuel is more precisely controlled at all velocities. TBIs are very dependent on their manifold for even fueling (much like carbs). I doubt that the ProFlo4 has the ability to tune individual injectors. It has a very basic ECU/software package. But for a street car, it's all you need. There is a reason the OEMs moved from TBI to Port injection. The current crop of TBIs are a pretty great value and upgrade over most carbs. But a port injection setup takes it one step further.
I could definitely see how the Edelbrock would be a great option for those that are building a motor or don't already have a running/driving engine in their car since it comes with the intake and dizzy. I'm thinking the Holley Sniper might be a better, or at least considerably cheaper option for those that want to switch over from a carb to EFI. There was an interesting video on YouTube that I watched last night about a guy that had a FiTech EFI unit on his Bronco and he ended up swapping it out with the Edelbrock.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I would be very surprised to learn that a product like Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4 wouldn't fit under the hood of a car in it's targeted market. Holley Sniper and FiTech are basically the same dimensions of a 4 BBL carburetor. Many of the linkages, etc, may need to be changed. But they are designed to fit a stock size manifold and air cleaner.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Definitely agree the port injection is better simply because it sprays right to the intake valve versus spraying for all 8 cylinders before the manifold. And of course direct injection is even better barring the intake valve buildup issue.

I think I agree with what another said, if you are building a motor from scratch the Edelbrock setup is better all around especially with the timing control. If you have a running motor and want a cheap EFI method then the Sniper is it, cheaper and easier to install with much of the benefits of the Edelbrock IMO.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts