Vintage Mustang Forums banner

81 - 99 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
@Nailbender . I’m using the edelbrock efi throttle bracket and Lokar throttle cable. This setup works well.
What are you using for a return spring? I realize the throttle body and the Lokar pedal both have integral springs, but the inspectors at every autocross event want to see a spring that looks like a traditional spring. Some of the other vendors offer a throttle bracket similar to Edelbrocks that has a return spring mounted on the front part of the bracket.

Aslo available in a less gaudy colors.

·
Registered
103 Posts
What are you using for a return spring? I realize the throttle body and the Lokar pedal both have integral springs, but the inspectors at every autocross event want to see a spring that looks like a traditional spring. Some of the other vendors offer a throttle bracket similar to Edelbrocks that has a return spring mounted on the front part of the bracket.

View attachment 751614

I'm only using the P4 return spring.

View attachment 751614

I’m using the P4 return spring only.

View attachment 751614

I’m using the P4 throttle body return spring only.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
For those interested in hood clearance here are before and after pictures taken with a straight edge across the tops of the fender. I previously had a Chinese knockoff of a standard performer intake and a 600 cfm summit racing 4100 style carb. As the pictures show, the EFI set up is actually a little shorter.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Part # 35930, it has 29lb injectors.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I'm glad I bought the Pro Flo 4 when I did, I see Jegs and Summit just upped the price another $100 TO $1995. However you can still buy it from Edelbrock and CJ pony parts for $1895.. Since Jegs and Summit both are offering $100 off on orders over $1000, I'm wondering if its just a mark up to offset the $100 promotion?

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
Not sure if it's spring or the pandemic, but, Summit, Jegs, and Speedway have upped prices on most everything 10 to 15%. Look at oil prices VS what your paying at the pump. Is everybody trying to make their last dollar?

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
For you guys who've installed the PF4, did you make any modifications to the injector/sensor harness? I dont like the way it fits.

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
For you guys who've installed the PF4, did you make and modifications to the injector/sensor harness? I dont like the way it fits.
I didn't really like the way it fit either and hate the way too hard plastic that the wires are in but I'm sure it works fine on a Chevy. The distributor extension harness is unsightly and I had to extend the wires that go to the coil. But it runs so well that all is forgiven. I'd like to say I'll go back someday and make the wiring so it fits a Ford with nicer wire covering but I won't.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Would the folks who've got it installed mind posting pics of the firewall grommets and ECU mounting?

I'm about to start cutting and I'm hoping there are better ideas.

Thanks!!
Kyle

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
disquek, I know how youre feeling, I thought about this for a couple of weeks before finally settling on a plan. My car doesnt have a heater box, so for now I just fished the wires through the hole for the blower motor and mounted the ecu to the right side kick panel under the dash, coiled up the excess harness and zip tied it to a tab under the dash. My intention is to just enjoy the drive this year like that and install A/C next winter and be able to take my time getting all of this wiring tidy to my satisfaction.

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
Would the folks who've got it installed mind posting pics of the firewall grommets and ECU mounting?

I'm about to start cutting and I'm hoping there are better ideas.

Thanks!!
Kyle
I used a 2 piece marine bulkhead gasket with a hole drilled between the defroster ducts for the wiring.

I mounted the ECU on the reinforced lower rail of the dash between the ashtray and the glovebox. well out of harms way.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
Getting closer. I made a shelf that goes sort of under the glove box. All of the "nut sides" are rivnuts, so it's easy to remove and work on. I'm not sure about tying the dash to the heater .... but we'll see.

I need to mount a fuse box on the right for the various key on loads like ECU, gauges, fan relay signal side, etc.

-Kyle

·
Registered
1966 Mustang GT 4sp Nightmist Blue
360 Posts
Because I didn’t want to cut a hole in my firewall or drill any additional holes I couldn’t quickly remedy. I mounted mine by the blower motor(ignore the lack of detailing and cut blower motor wires, those will get addressed later lol)
Chris

Reactions: rusty1161

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
That looks like a good use for an otherwise unused location
I would not feel comfortable putting an ECU in that location, or any in the engine compartment after dealing with the FiTech.. One of the many reasons I went from the FiTech to the PF4 was to get the sensitive bits out of the engine compartment for longevity and emi isolation. Just my opinion, and I'm a carpenter not a rocket scientist. I don't like the huge bundle of wires going through the center of my firewall, but I've gotten over it!

·
Registered
1966 Mustang GT 4sp Nightmist Blue
360 Posts
I would not feel comfortable putting an ECU in that location, or any in the engine compartment after dealing with the FiTech.. One of the many reasons I went from the FiTech to the PF4 was to get the sensitive bits out of the engine compartment for longevity and emi isolation. Just my opinion, and I'm a carpenter not a rocket scientist. I don't like the huge bundle of wires going through the center of my firewall, but I've gotten over it!
The FiTech ecu is located in the throttle body right? I figured my location plus using aluminum with space behind it to mount it on would keep it cool and air flow on both sides. With the emi issues, what were you having so I can keep an eye on mine to see if I encounter the same thing.

Thanks!!

Chris

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
The FiTech ecu is located in the throttle body right? I figured my location plus using aluminum with space behind it to mount it on would keep it cool and air flow on both sides. With the emi issues, what were you having so I can keep an eye on mine to see if I encounter the same thing.

Thanks!!

Chris
I have a tube on my FPA headers that goes really close were you mounted your ECU. I wouldn't do it. Anther foot into the passenger compartment and temperatures are 100º less. Just my take on the situation and doesn't mean I'm right.

81 - 99 of 99 Posts