Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Good morning everyone-

I am planning to add EFI to my car over the winter and am wondering if anyone has experience with the Pro Flo 4. The Holley Sniper is a popular option and I’ve been thinking a lot about it, but can’t help but wonder if it’s somewhat antiquated at this point. Edelbrock stopped making their TBI system to focus on the Pro Flo. It’s likely only a matter of time before Holley does the same. If going EFI it makes sense to me to go multi-port to get the most out of the technology. I know Edelbrock is more expensive, but I’m of the buy once, cry once mindset. I appreciate your thoughts. Have a great Monday!

https://www.edelbrock.com/meet-pro-flo-4

·
Registered
131 Posts
I'm considering going EFI myself. Have no knowledge of the new Edelbrock system, but never heard anything but good things about the antiquated Holley Sniper, lol. Subscribed to this thread for other opinions.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
97 Posts
I likewise would not call the Holley Sniper "antiquated," although I do like Edelbrock products. But no way I'm paying $600 more just to get theirs.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Very happy with my "antiquated" Sniper system. Having run Edelbrock and Holley 670 SA carbs on the same motor, I can say that the car has never run better and/or stronger.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
That Pro Flo system does look cool.
It does have some cool options like the Bluetooth tablet compatibility. I wish the Sniper had that vs corded.

Since I’m running a cleveland, it’s not an option for me...

I’ve already purchased the Super Sniper and I do like hearing all the wonderful reviews.
It would appear that from a shear simplicity and complexity, the Sniper wins hands down.
It would appear the Pro Flow has significantly more parts and requires an intake change etc.
The bolt on and go is sure nice.

Just my $.02 Worth which won’t get you a piece of bubble gum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,031 Posts
Looks like a decent setup for a good price. Not much more than the cost of the Sniper plus an intake.

I wouldn't call the TBI systems "antiquated", more like an option for those that don't want to replace their current intake. Hopefully they will eventually cover the full spectrum of Ford engines.

Never understood why they named their EFI systems after an air filter that everyone has a horror story about....

·
Registered
6,364 Posts
Looks like a nice complete system. I've always thought direct port injection is a better system. The $1600-1800 range is a decent cost for the package. !'d go this route if, I was looking.......

·
Registered
776 Posts
I looked into this a while ago. I talked to a few other guys on forums who are into EFI systems way more than I will ever be. there are some good features with this like sequential firing vs batch firing. Down side is, its pretty vauge on how much HP it can handle. one guy tore it apart and said that the injectors were pretty small and cheap, making higher HP motors probably unable to use this. With that said, none of them had any experience with upgrades on them and probably for most of us who arnt running our cars like wild apes, it'll work fine. One thing that is good about the Fitech is that Bosch injectors fit and the system can handle quite a jump in injector size. I would like to give it a try, but my fitech seems to be working just fine.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ha! Perhaps antiquated was too strong of a word, but certainly I think multi-port injection is more advanced technology. It’s much closer to what modern vehicles are running today. I just don’t want to buy another Betamax. For you young folks, google that. All kidding aside, if I am going through the hassle of upgrading and running additional fuel lines etc, it makes sense to me to get the most advanced system I can. Changing the manifold is no big deal. From what I have read so far, the Pro Flo seems to get good reviews. Thanks for everyone’s thoughts.

·
Premium Member
2,139 Posts
Ha! Perhaps antiquated was too strong of a word, but certainly I think multi-port injection is more advanced technology. It’s much closer to what modern vehicles are running today. I just don’t want to buy another Betamax. For you young folks, google that. All kidding aside, if I am going through the hassle of upgrading and running additional fuel lines etc, it makes sense to me to get the most advanced system I can. Changing the manifold is no big deal. From what I have read so far, the Pro Flo seems to get good reviews. Thanks for everyone’s thoughts.
Not to mention the pro Flo is designed to run as a system. There's no dispute on what intake to run etc...

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
I like the look of the system. One thing I learned from getting one of the first FiTech systems is don't be an early buyer, let the other guys work out the bugs and buy a year or 2 later when the bugs are worked out and the competition comes out with a similar system driving prices down.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
I think the hight of the manifold and throttle body could be an issue at least on 65-66 cars. The EFI system adds up to about 8 9/16". My Performer 289 manifold, FiTech TBI, and one inch spacer add up to 7 9/16" and with a repo HiPo air cleaner on top I've got less than a 1/2" clearance from the top of the air cleaner to the hood. Not that I should be considering such upgrades anyway!

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think the hight of the manifold and throttle body could be an issue at least on 65-66 cars. The EFI system adds up to about 8 9/16". My Performer 289 manifold, FiTech TBI, and one inch spacer add up to 7 9/16" and with a repo HiPo air cleaner on top I've got less than a 1/2" clearance from the top of the air cleaner to the hood. Not that I should be considering such upgrades anyway!
According to Edlebrock’s website the Pro Flo is 7.75” total.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I didnt know such a thing was available but should have seen it coming.
To me the only reason now to use the earlier version is to try and hide that its EFI, better is better right? I would assume the intake part is pretty much tuned to flow well for each application.
From the video I'd think the only thing I would like better is to have dual O2 sensors just to be more obsessive with it:)

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
According to Edlebrock’s website the Pro Flo is 7.75” total.
I was looking at the 550 max HP system. ( 35940 manifold height: 6.35". Throttle body height: 2.25").

The 450 HP system is indeed 7.75" and will just squeak by with standard motor mounts and a HiPo air cleaner. (35930 manifold height: 5.5". Throttle body height: 2.25")

Looks like a good winter project!

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I too agree if I were shopping EFI right now id go with the edelbrock for the money, not only is it sequential port injection with the manifold included but it also comes with the distributor and built in timing control.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I am still going to wait it out. My Quickfuel 780 equipped 427 Windsor delivers well. Short of convenience (cold start that takes a minute or so now...) I have read nothing of gains over a properly dyno tuned carburetor. We shall see. Certainly the wait has brought technology with lower cost.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts