Vintage Mustang Forums banner

281 - 300 of 318 Posts

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Getting there.

The offset air cleaner base seems to solve a few problems. I bought it just to mock up. It's a super cheap one and the bell mouth is way too square to flow best. I might look for one with similar dimensions but a more well rounded bell mouth.

The normal monte carlo bar fouls the distributor bad! lol I like Nailbender's idea. But in looking at the car there is a space between the distributor and the air cleaner that's a couple of inches rearward of where the normal bar would go. I mocked up the idea in green tape. Of course I will use proper black electrical tape for the final version. lol

Any thoughts about moving the monte carlo back like this? Seems like it'll work. The bar is actually more on the inner fender that the normal position.

View attachment 771755

View attachment 771756
If your thinking of going down this route on the MC bar why not drop it down another inch and mount it directly to the towers and not have to mess with the air cleaner offset? Your a tinkerer looking for the coolest solution and I think that's awesome. Me, I bent it out of the way and moved on to the next problem.

On the valve cover subject, I bought and returned a half dozen sets of aftermarket valve covers. On every set the breather baffle was a half assed at best after thought that was basically useless in regards to keeping oil in the engine. I ended up using the original valve covers with the functional breather baffle and a 3/4" aluminum spacer below to clear the roller rockers.

Oh, the PF4 is still awesome!

Reactions: disquek

·
Registered
163 Posts
Do you mean weld the brackets to the towers directly? If so, they're already painted, and I'm lazy! lol

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Do you mean weld the brackets to the towers directly? If so, they're already painted, and I'm lazy! lol
Or make brackets that bolt to the towers, no more work than your other idea. I'm the lazy one, 5 minutes with a cherry picker and strap on a $20 commie part!

·
Registered
163 Posts
I already have holes for the old MC bar. This uses them. It should get the job done. I already made the two end plates. Let's see how it comes out. Thanks for the idea though!

The big project will be the expansion tank and catch tank. Should be fun.

Getting the damn exhaust to go over the huge damn axle will be less fun. lol

·
Registered
163 Posts
Did anyone hook up the return spring setup that came with the PF4? Do you have a pic? I dont see a good way to install what they sent. And we know I dont like to go off the reservation and make something weird ... lol

·
Registered
200 Posts
@Diskquek: Very nice. Thats looking good. I almost bought that export brace you have, I instead went with the full TCP setup.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Ninjak, Thanks!

The export brace is Global West. It's just ok.

I'd have liked to see a full circle around the shock top. Also the finish that was on it wasn't properly applied and started peeling off where surface rust formed in spots. I think they didn't sand blast it before they applied the powder coat. So I had to strip it. Glass beading it was too slow where the powder coat was well adhered. So I had to use a combo of aircraft stripper, pressure washer, sanding and glass beading. It got done, but it was a real PITA. Then I painted it with Summit Chassis Shield (the same stuff I painted the engine compartment and axle housing with. I'd hoped I had some Chassis Shield paint left for the Monte Carlo bar, but I don't. So now I need to figure out what to do. I'm fond of VHT Epoxy Chassis Satin Black spray bomb. Or maybe I can get it powder coated. Another batch of Chassis Shield would be a big spend to paint one bar.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Did anyone hook up the return spring setup that came with the PF4? Do you have a pic? I dont see a good way to install what they sent. And we know I dont like to go off the reservation and make something weird ... lol
I hooked up the bracket to the intake manifold bolt behind the #7 injector and it seems to work well. The throttle body has an internal return spring but the tech guy wants to see a traditional spring. I noticed that you have regular bolts on the top of your new Monte Carlo bar. You may want to swap them out for carriage bolts before you shut the hood. You may already know this but I thought I'd mention it.

The crooked bracket to drive the OCD crazy! Along with the unfinished throttle cable bracket.

Reactions: disquek

·
Registered
163 Posts
Thanks! Are you concerned that the bolts will hit the under side of the hood?

Mocking up the expansion tank now.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Thanks! Are you concerned that the bolts will hit the under side of the hood?
Yes. That is why the SD Monte Carlo bars have square holes on top to accept 5/16" carriage bolts.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hmmm. Thanks! I will check clearance before I close the hood. My old MC bar had regular 5/16" bolts in it.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Hmmm. Thanks! I will check clearance before I close the hood. My old MC bar had regular 5/16" bolts in it.
If you look at my picture you can see the serrations left by the original bolts I reinstalled after adding the MC bar. I used a little plumbers putty to check clearances and it was at 1/32". Your milage may vary. But there is reason why the top holes are square.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Do you have these in? I'd think they determine the available space.

Edit: Just checked the height of these. The shortest point (and I'd think they hood would sit on the highest point) is .571". The bolt are .315. My end plates are .120" thick. That still leaves .126". But who knows how this stuff fits. I will install the hood tomorrow and measure.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I really like how your routing turned out - do you happen to have the part# for the holders you ended up using? Thanks!
Here are the ones I used. You have to buy them separately and they are pricey but were worth the money to me because nothing I researched compared. You can save a little money by careful planning so you don't buy separators you end up not needing. I'm also lucky because I'm 15 minutes away from Summit's Arlington, Texas warehouse so I bought the separators off the shelf rather than having to order and wait. Also, I could look at other brands because they were also displayed.

Billet Specialties 69702 - Billet Specialties Plug Wire Separators
Spark Plug Wire Separator, 2 Wire, Valve Cover Vertical Mount, Billet Aluminum, 8.5mm Wires, Pair
Part Number: BSP-69702
( 14 )
In Stock (more than 10 available)
Estimated Pickup Date: TodayEstimated Warehouse Ship Date: Tomorrow
$19.99
Add To Cart
  • Compare
  • Wish List
Billet Specialties 69703 - Billet Specialties Plug Wire Separators
Billet Specialties 69703 - Billet Specialties Plug Wire Separators
Spark Plug Wire Separator, 3 Wire, Valve Cover Vertical Mount, Billet Aluminum, Stainless Steel Hardware, Pair
Part Number: BSP-69703
( 3 )
$26.99
Add To Cart
  • Compare
  • Wish List
Billet Specialties 69601 - Billet Specialties Plug Wire Separators
Billet Specialties 69601 - Billet Specialties Plug Wire Separators
Spark Plug Wire Separators, Aluminum, Polished, 4-Wires, Clip-In, Pair
Part Number: BSP-69601
( 14 )
$15.99
Add To Cart
  • Compare
  • Wish List
Billet Specialties 69701 - Billet Specialties Plug Wire Separators
Billet Specialties 69701 - Billet Specialties Plug Wire Separators
Spark Plug Wire Separator, 1- Wire, Valve Cover Horizontal Mount, Billet Aluminum, Polished, Pair
Part Number: BSP-69701
( 4 )
$27.99
Add To Cart
  • Compare
  • Wish List
Billet Specialties 69604 - Billet Specialties Plug Wire Separators
Billet Specialties 69604 - Billet Specialties Plug Wire Separators
Spark Plug Wire Seperators, Cylinder Head Mount, Pair
Part Number: BSP-69604
( 10 )
Only 2 left in stock - order soon

·
Registered
163 Posts
@Nailbender You were right! It would have been within like .005” with my setup! I ordered some button flange allen head bolts that are .140” thinner than what I was using from McMaster. I looked at carriage bolts but the square part is way thicker than my end plates. Plus filing square holes is a drag! lol

Thanks Again Man!!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Thoughts? Mocking up the coolant expansion & catch tanks. They clear the hood by 1/2". The big can is the expansion tank. The little one is a catch tank.

BTW, that air cleaner clears the hood by about 1/4" with that offset base I posted earlier. I think the filter element is about 2 1/2" tall. I will measure it and edit this.

Reactions: blueovalfan68

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
3,528 Posts
Ok maybe this has been covered in the preceeding 15 pages.... but I placed an order for my FPA headers last night and realized this am I need an o2 sensor bung for the pri flo4. Should I call and have him add it to the headers or would the collector be a good spot for it? The headers will be coated, so adding it later isn't an option.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I like to put them after the collector. With the limited space under these car around the header, it will be tricky to place it without having the thing put together to eye ball it. Too many variables to account for. Clutch, etc. My current bungs are are not above the 10 deg requirement. So I need to cut the collector adapters off and reweld with the bung pointing up. No biggie. I will be doing this tomorrow, I can post some pics. I have Hedman long tube headers.

Cooling system expansion & catch tanks done.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Ok maybe this has been covered in the preceeding 15 pages.... but I placed an order for my FPA headers last night and realized this am I need an o2 sensor bung for the pri flo4. Should I call and have him add it to the headers or would the collector be a good spot for it? The headers will be coated, so adding it later isn't an option.
Stan recommends putting the bungs in the collectors and rotating to fit. He will weld them in for you, but like anything FPA $$$! I assume you are having them coated?
Edelbrock recommends the O2 sensor be within 10º of horizontal but mines at about 12:30 from the previous FiTech install and seems to work fine. Obviously follow the rules if you have the room.

281 - 300 of 318 Posts