Vintage Mustang Forums banner

301 - 312 of 312 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Down to a drive shaft (should arrive tomorrow) and getting the exhaust in. With the big new QP 9" diamond shaped housing, my plan is to remove the over axle section and replace it with dumps. This is just temporary until I can make an over axle section that will give the axle more room.

I had one small pin hole in the new expansion tank. Pulled it and fixed it. Filled the motor with oil, primed it, and calibrated the dip stick.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Got it running yesterday! Always great to light up a new motor!

At first it was very timing sensitive and wouldn't start. I set up a remote starter button and turned it over while moving the distributor. It was close, but once it was in the right spot, it fired up. It was just a tweak from there to lock down the timing at 12.

Almost ready for a first ride!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Got it running yesterday! Always great to light up a new motor!

At first it was very timing sensitive and wouldn't start. I set up a remote starter button and turned it over while moving the distributor. It was close, but once it was in the right spot, it fired up. It was just a tweak from there to lock down the timing at 12.

Almost ready for a first ride!
Congrats! Always a good feeling when it starts.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #304
Down to a drive shaft (should arrive tomorrow) and getting the exhaust in. With the big new QP 9" diamond shaped housing, my plan is to remove the over axle section and replace it with dumps. This is just temporary until I can make an over axle section that will give the axle more room.

I had one small pin hole in the new expansion tank. Pulled it and fixed it. Filled the motor with oil, primed it, and calibrated the dip stick.

View attachment 773203
Beautiful engine bay!

·
Registered
29 Posts

View attachment 773203
What PCV are you running? My stock one and hose no longer fit any of the nipples.

·
Registered
158 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
I see most of you here are running the Fuel pressure regulator that connects to the end of the fuel rail, but what do y'all think of this? I have a Spectra 22gal EFI tank with the pump and sender in the stock location. I was thinking about possibly plumbing this in near the tank and then only having to use my single 5/16 line up to the front. The car is totally stock. Right now I have the Edelbrock fuel sump installed.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #309
The fuel filter/regulator looks pretty slick. I’m running the Spectra EFI tank and it’s been perfect. I would caution you to look into the sump more. I spoke with Edelbrock tech and they advised not to run it in high heat and humidity locations. I know how hot it gets under my hood and was concerned about the fuel getting hot.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The fuel filter/regulator looks pretty slick. I’m running the Spectra EFI tank and it’s been perfect. I would caution you to look into the sump more. I spoke with Edelbrock tech and they advised not to run it in high heat and humidity locations. I know how hot it gets under my hood and was concerned about the fuel getting hot.
That's good to hear. How did you wire everything up? Do you have a stock fuel gauge? Is it accurate? How did you wire that with the positive and negative coming off the sender?

The sump isn't my long term solution. It was part of Summit's promo last year and since I had it I used it as a short term solution for motivation of having the car running. I don't have the hood on right now so it has lots of air flow.

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
3,493 Posts
I would think having the regulator/return at the engine would help keep cool fuel at the engine, by recirculating some of the heat soaked fuel back to the tank.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I’m debating on whether or not to use the Edelbrock pressure regulator that attaches to the fuel rail, or to just use a pump that has a regulated output. At this time, I’m leaning towards using the Holley 12-305 in-tank pump because 1) I can keep my existing fuel tank, 2) I don’t need to run a return line, and 3) I wouldn’t need to use the Edelbrock regulator which I think looks a little clunky next to the other slick looking hardware.

I’ve done some research on this and from what I can tell, the big advantage of the Edelbrock regulator is that it fine tunes the fuel pressure based on the manifold pressure. The following quotes are from Nate S. who I believe is Edelbrock’s main tech guy on the Pro-Flo.

“All Pro-Flo 4 calibrations were tuned with a manifold pressure reference fuel pressure regulator (e.g., 17400 or 17401) and one should be used on all systems. Using a non-manifold pressure reference fuel pressure regulator is a slightly less desirable "Option B" that Edelbrock still does not recommend however we've seen that it does tend to be okay and mostly acceptable but you are using the system outside of how it was intended to be used.”

“All of the Pro-Flo 4 base cals were created with a manifold pressure referenced fuel pressure regulator so best-case scenario is to use the same type of regulator but it's not the end of the world if you use a non-manifold pressure reference fuel pressure regulator. When you use a manifold pressure referenced fuel pressure regulator, the net pressure across the injector is always constant. When you use a non-manifold pressure referenced fuel pressure regulator, the net pressure across the injector changes with vacuum and the "profile" of the fuel map is different because of this. Between 0 inHg and say -20 inHg of manifold pressure when running an engine, you'll see a 10-psi fuel pressure change which results in an 8% fueling change (for the same AFR) so you're well within the closed loop AFR adjustment range so the system shouldn't have a problem compensating for this.”

So (if you’re still reading at this point), can anyone who’s running the Holley 12-305 provide some firsthand feedback if they’ve had issues with using this over the Edelbrock regulator?

Thanks

Dan

301 - 312 of 312 Posts