Vintage Mustang Forums banner

41 - 60 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
I don't get the not running a return style fuel system and a in tank fuel pump? Buy a 3/8" pre-bent hard line from NPD as the supply and use the original 5/16" as the return. Modify the tank and firewall ends as necessary to work with the new stuff and use as little "soft line" as possible.

Really liking the price point of this Edelbrock system but I am more concerned about going around the corners at this point. If my FiTech system even hiccups though, I'm all over it!

·
Registered
565 Posts
Foam vs Hydramat

I'd encourage you to look at the Aeromotive Stealth II tank.
The Aeromotive tank uses foam in a chamber to provide fuel in hard cornering, and foam has a limited life submerged in fuel. I'm wondering if that Holley Hydramat is as magic as their marketing makes it out to be? Would be easier to replace too, than foam, I think? Anyone vouch for Hydramat being able to provide enough cfm for EFI like Pro Flo?

·
Premium Member
2,397 Posts
I'd encourage you to look at the Aeromotive Stealth II tank.
The Aeromotive tank uses foam in a chamber to provide fuel in hard cornering, and foam has a limited life submerged in fuel. I'm wondering if that Holley Hydramat is as magic as their marketing makes it out to be? Would be easier to replace too, than foam, I think? Anyone vouch for Hydramat being able to provide enough cfm for EFI like Pro Flo?
That's why I love these forums.... Never knew this product existed.....

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
I watch the vid and it's an impressive product. Not sure of the cost but, it has a limited lifetime similar to the bladder and foam in fuel cells.

·
Premium Member
2,397 Posts
By pure coincidence I stumped across this tonight. I've watched other videos from him and feel he's a straight shooter. Hope this helps.
As for me, I'm still considering the swap from my fitech meanstreet to this.

https://youtu.be/9FXjDWOD-BA
Yea, that video pushed me away from FiTech as well. It's not the first time I've read/heard of FiTech having issues.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
I watch the vid and it's an impressive product. Not sure of the cost but, it has a limited lifetime similar to the bladder and foam in fuel cells.
After searching, the only thing I found from Holley is that it will provide 5-10 Years or more, depending on fuel cleanliness. It sounds like the material doesn't break down and fail like fuel cells do, but it can plug up over time with debris. I would think with an over-sized mat, and clean fuel system, it would last a very long time, as long as you're getting good fuel pressure ?

·
Registered
776 Posts
Yea, that video pushed me away from FiTech as well. It's not the first time I've read/heard of FiTech having issues.
for the record I bought my Fitech unit used. I followed the instructions and installed like it says to. I haven't had any issues with mine per say. BUT I did have a few times where the computer would almost "reset" itself and I had to change the ignition signal settings as it swapped it out, making my car not start. I'm not too impressed with my cold starting but in fairness, there are ways to really work it in better, but too lazy to mess with it.

also in fairness, the holley sniper guys have been having similar issues as well. I really do think that it comes down to the install and having good, clean power and grounds. a lot of people don't realize that when it says "12v cranking" it really means that.

·
Registered
565 Posts
It is a magic product, and y'all should watch the vids on it. Yes it likely has a lifecycle, but I'll bet it's longer than foam, and you don't have to trash the whole foam baffled fuel cell, you just pull out the pump, and the Hydramat comes out with it easily thru the little hole. Don't take my word for it, I just watched the vid that's all...

·
Registered
12 Posts
After reading this thread and watching all of the efi youtubes I can find, I decided to pulled the trigger and ordered the pro flo 4 today. Regarding the possible heat, vapor locking with the free sump. I might locate the sump in a remote location, like the trunk or some other place. Bottom line is that if it doesn't work then I'll get the gen ll stealth efi tank. In the mean time since the car is a show car/daily driver, while having it down over the winter I'm planning on a Heidts ifs front end and a undetermined 3/4 link rear suspension.
Since it's doing double duty partly as a show car, while installing the efi, I'm planning on a wire tuck and bay shave. I found a connection that will allow a through the firewall connection for the efi ecu. I'll post pics of the process if interested.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #53 (Edited)
After reading this thread and watching all of the efi youtubes I can find, I decided to pulled the trigger and ordered the pro flo 4 today. Regarding the possible heat, vapor locking with the free sump. I might locate the sump in a remote location, like the trunk or some other place. Bottom line is that if it doesn't work then I'll get the gen ll stealth efi tank. In the mean time since the car is a show car/daily driver, while having it down over the winter I'm planning on a Heidts ifs front end and a undetermined 3/4 link rear suspension.
Since it's doing double duty partly as a show car, while installing the efi, I'm planning on a wire tuck and bay shave. I found a connection that will allow a through the firewall connection for the efi ecu. I'll post pics of the process if interested.
That all sounds very cool. I am just about to pull the trigger on this myself as Summit is running a pretty good sale. This will also be a winter project. You don’t need to run the sump, just run a fuel return line back to the tank. I’m thinking a lot about the Holley fuel pump that’s been discussed in this thread. I’ve got some things to figure out, but will buy before the sale ends.

·
Registered
12 Posts
That all sounds very cool. I am just about to pull the trigger on this myself as Summit is running a pretty good sale. This will also be a winter project. You don’t need to run the sump, just run a fuel return line back to the tank. I’m thinking a lot about the Holley fuel pump that’s been discussed in this thread. I’ve got some things to figure out, but will buy before the sale ends.
Yeah I figured since they are giving the sump away I'd try to make it work. If I can figure out a simple return line back to the orginal tank then I can get a 7 psi electrical pump to feed the sump. If not then I'll get the stealth gen ll. Either way the efi is worth the coin.

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
Just want to add my recent experience with respect to the fuel sender that was recommended for my 22 gal TanksInc install, as this may affect youse guys doing these EFI conversions.
The fuel sender that came with my tank is a 76/10 OHM unit and is made by a company named ISSPRO. It's a nice quality sender that requires only a ground and a 5V signal from the gauge. Also, know my mustang is a '65.
After all was installed, I filled (21.5 gal.) the tank to the bottom of the filler neck. My gauge registered approx. two "needle" widths less that the "F" full mark. Hmmm?
The sender in the old FuelCell was a 76/6 OHM unit and always registered slightly above the "F" mark. Therefore, I contacted TankInc. and was told they only offer the 76/10. So, I pulled the sender from the cell trimmed the length to 9" (previously 10.5") and installed it in my 22 gal tank. It being a little more sophisticated, required a 12V power source, which was already available, to run the electronics, otherwise, the rest of the connections are the same. Thankfully too, the bolt pattern is the same. It's made by Centroid. As previously, it worked "perfectly".

So, perhaps someone here will know, when the change occurred from 76/6 to 76/10 OHMs for the sending units? BTW, I have since learned ISSPRO does carry a two wire 76/6 OHM unit. If anyone needs a 76/10 unit PM me for a good deal.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I heard the FiTech and the Holley Sniper have issues with the ECU frying because its located on the intake where its hot all time. I'm leaning towards the Pro Flo 4 as well.

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
Where does Holly recommend the "controller" be placed? We all know electronic and heat do not play nice. I'd be surprised they don't have a recommended location away from the heat, if possible. It's advisable even for the CD boxes (MSD, Mallory, Jacobs etc) be located in a cool(er) location. Just curious, as I have no experience with either of those systems.

·
Premium Member
2,397 Posts
Where does Holly recommend the "controller" be placed? We all know electronic and heat do not play nice. I'd be surprised they don't have a recommended location away from the heat, if possible. It's advisable even for the CD boxes (MSD, Mallory, Jacobs etc) be located in a cool(er) location. Just curious, as I have no experience with either of those systems.
Its mounted inside the throttle body if my memory serves.

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
UGH, that sucks! What's that saying....'designed for failure"?

41 - 60 of 104 Posts