Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With my old carb I pulled the plugs and they were white!!!!! OH , Close one. so I put on my new edelbrock and found out that the secondary butterflys arent opening because they are hitting the spacer so I have to grind out enough room for them to open. but when I drive it It backfires through the pipes when I let off and compression brake, and it will barely start I have to hold it about halfway and it will spit and sputter to life. Now that means a LEAN condition, right because when i turned the skrews 1/4 turn out it got worse so I set it back to the "From the box" setting. I dont know what to do, kinda confused here because I have never tinkered with Big carbs, I sure can tune a Mikuni on my snowmobile and I am scared of burning a piston because that is very common on two-strokes bu really never hear of it on V8s but I am nervous anyways. Thanx and sorry for rambling on.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Have you installed a new gasket under the carb and plugged the vacuum ports not being used on the carb.
Do you have your vacuum advance for the dist hooked to the correct port on the carb

Try this and see what happens
Turn the idle screws in (clockwise)till the engine stumbles them back them out till the engine starts to run rough them turn them in about 3/4 this should get you close them fine tune.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts