Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 302 has Edelbrock aluminium valve covers on it.

The passenger side has the PCV valve at the back and the driver's side has the breather/oil filler cap at the front.

At the moment both the PCV valve and the breather/oil filler cap both have a baffle plate ( if that is the correct term ) under them in the valve covers.

This makes sense for the PCV valve as the intake is sucking on this and the baffle plate will stop splashed oil inside the valve cover being sucked into the intake.

But the baffle plate for the breather/oil filler cap does not make sense as the engine is drawing air into this breather from the air filter. So do I need this baffle plate?

The reason I ask is that it is a pain using a funnel to fill the engine with oil and you have to pour the oil in really slowly. This is because the baffle plate slows down the oil flow and it makes a mess if I pour the oil too fast. Without the baffle plate, I would be able to pour the oil much faster into the funnel without it making a mess on the valve cover.

It has been a while since I last had the valve covers off, but I think the baffle plates are just screwed in on the inside.

Jeremy.

·
Premium Member
12,003 Posts
I'm sure Edelbrock installed the baffle in all of the valve covers so that they wouldn't have to check they put one of each in the box. And some end user might install the one without the baffle on the wrong side. So yes, you should be OK removing the baffle from the one on the left side of the engine.

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
I would not remove the baffle plate. Mine has holes in it that I thought I needed to clear some poly-locks. I will get some oil splashed into the breather that then drips down onto the valve cover fins. I will be replacing my baffle plate with a solid one.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts