Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 67' with a 289,2bb carb, and c4 trany and have a few questions about upgrades I(with help) would like to do.
-How can I tell if I have a manual or electric choke currently?
-What else needed to make the change to a 4bb setup besides the edlebrock 2121 intake and 1406 or 1405 carb ?
-What are the pitfalls to avoid in making this change?
-Is it possible to change the cam out with out removing the engine? I assume that the radiator and water pump will need to come out.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
Regarding the choke ID; if electric, you will have a black "thing" on the passenger side of the carb, diameter about size of a silver dollar, approx 3/4" thick. If manual, you will have some linkage on the pass side with a cable going into the passenger compartment to manually open and close the choke.

You are on the right track about the cam; the grill also likely will need to come out, timing chain cover, distributor. Might as well replace the timing chain while you are there.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok I have an electric choke. So I need to get the 1406. The wiring should be there already?

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
Well, one other thing about Mustang chokes. Some are based on a heat-riser tube that runs to and from the pass exhaust manifold, has the same-looking black 'thing" as electric but they are not electric. My current unit (factory 2V) is this heat-type which I'll be replacing with a Holley manual choke carb. I've never dealt with elec chokes so I can't help you there, someone else here surely can though.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
You may also have to make some changes with the throttle linkage and the kickdown lever, esp. the latter. For more details on these topics and on changing the cam, do a SEARCH.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts