Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I test fitted my edlebrock performer intake that came off my 289 onto my 331, and I noticed that the TFS heads don't match up perfectly? The ports for the intake do, but there is a smaller port in the middle of both sides of the intake that the TFS heads don't even have? I noticed these ports were filled with carbon upon removal on the 289, so I'm sure it's important to have them. My original 289 heads have them, but the TFS don't. Do I have to get a different intake now?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here are the differences

Attachments

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
Are you talking about the smaller port in the middle? That's the heat crossover, no big deal if it's blocked off.

My TFS heads don't have them and my intake doesn't either. While you're here, ditch the Performer 289 in favor of the RPM or RPM Air Gap, you'll be VERY happy you did.

The performer 289 is merely an aluminum version of the original anemic 4v intake.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply man. And yes I'm talking about that, but also the TFS has two ports of the very end, where as the edlebrock has only one, not sure if that's a problem too?

I wanted to go to the rpm, but budget is tight, I'll probably have too do it down the road

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
Thanks for the reply man. And yes I'm talking about that, but also the TFS has two ports of the very end, where as the edlebrock has only one, not sure if that's a problem too?

I wanted to go to the rpm, but budget is tight, I'll probably have too do it down the road
All good! Yeah for some reason Edelbrock doesn't cast in the water crossover in the back. Again, still works fine and it's no big deal.

Keep an eye out on craigslist and eBay, you can find the RPM intake for sale used fairly easily.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts