Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats the big deal with the 48 IDA Weber carb set ups? I am building a 289 an came across a weber set up forsale. What advantages do the webers have over an autolite 4100 or a edelbrock 600 cfm?

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
As I understand it there are 8 of them, so each cylinder has a carb for it which allows for better efficiency(sp?). You can tune each carb for each cylinder. Im no expert on them this is just what Ive heard from people who have talked about them. Hopefully someone else will be able to shed more lite on the subject.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Webers saw use in some of the early Shelby cars. Little offers the 'wow' factor of popping the hood on a early Mustang or Shelby and seeing Webers. They can also provide excellent performance. Jim has everything you need.

http://www.inglese.com/

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Webers are 2V. 4 Webers = 8V

·
Premium Member
11,702 Posts
Webers provide an individual runner to each cylinder, with a minimum of direction changes before hitting the intake valve. This in turn provides pretty much instant throttle response and huge power potential on the top-end.

Another upside is that they are just plane sexy, IMHO.
http://www.kkpony.com/Events/20030621-VMOA/thumbnails/Weber1_jpg.jpg

The downside is that since there are four two-barrel carbs you have to spend more time tuning.

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
About a year and a half ago I wrote some notes on comparing a 4V versus Webers . I described some of the benefits and liabilities of Webers, IDA and IDF. New IDAs are listed for $500 each, an intake will run you $300-650, used and new, respectively. Linkage sets are on the order of $175-250. Then you have air cleaners which could run $75-400. Also need to consider the water neck and thermostat. A good deal on a used setup would be $2-3000. Complete, new setups are priced in the $5k range.

Carbs Unlimited Weber Parts Page

as mentioned earlier, Inglese Induction systems which I understand is now owned by someone other than Jim Inglese (He's a long time SAAC member and hardcore Ford freak)

Holman-Moody also has intakes

Pierce Manifolds carry an impressive stock and bill themselves as the largest supplier of Weber parts in the US

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
What's the big deal? They look really really cool. ::

1 - 7 of 7 Posts