Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1965 2+2 Vintage Burgundy A-code C4
4,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm DIS and EEC illiterate, so bear with me. I have the 98 5.0 with the DIS and would like to put it in my 65. I seem to be hearing that the EEC-V is much more involved and controls the AODE and more O2 sensors and on and on. My question is, can I run the DIS and an EEC-IV in my 65? Will it work? Is it worth it? I'm SO confused! I plan on getting some EFI books soon, but I'm really twisting in the wind here. I need to get my game plan underway and want to know if the EFI/DIS/EEC-IV can work so I can scrounge up and AOD and get rolling or do I need to just de-convert the 5.0 to "old style" and use my Performer and Holley and Pertronix? HEP ME!!

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Can you get whatever you need from the donor car? If you can and you will be pulling the motor try to leave all wiring and sensors attached to the motor and remove the harness at the EEC. This will save you a lot of confusion. Any sensors like the map or barometric sensors and the vacuum solenoids can be unbolted from the fender or firewall and left connected to the motor wiring harness also. This is how I removed mine and during installation i was able to route the sensors to open areas on the firewall and installed them with self drilling screws. If the DIS worked in the 98 it will work in the 65. You will have to mount a electric fuel pump near the tank and route a return line to the tank. I think it would look cool and ought to scream when it is done. BTW I would recommend the aode if you can get one since this motor is set up for one already...

·
Registered
757 Posts
The best source for technical know how on EFI conversions is Windsor-Fox performance. They distribute the majority of the efi conversions available. They can help.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Not ignition related, but if it's out of an Explorer with the GT-40P heads, you'll need special headers. Some of us have these heads in our Mustangs and can provide more precise information.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Scotty,
The descision to EFI or not is a personal one that you will have to make on your own.

If you do go EFI, Get a EEC-IV out of an automatic transmission car, if you intend to go automatic. The EEC-IV (9AL) for the manual (T5) mustangs is not the same as the EEC-IV for autos. If you mix and match, you'll have all kinds of drivability problems.

·
Registered
1965 2+2 Vintage Burgundy A-code C4
4,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks George, maybe I muddied up the water too much with my question. Let me cut it down further. CAN I use the EEC-IV (9AL) with the DIS on my 98? I don't want to bother with the AODE, or a second set of O2 sensors, but I would like to try the DIS setup and the serpentine belt and all the stuff that's on the engine I have. I just don't know about mixing and matching an EEC-IV on a motor that was made to run an EEC-V. If it will work, I'll wire it up with an older computer from an automatic Mustang donor and be on my way.
Thanks to the others for the tips. I already know about the headers and serpentine differences and reverse rotation water pumps and electric fuel pumps and so on. I just need to know if the simpler (than an EEC-V) EEC-IV will work for me. If not, then I'll strip it all off and stick the trusty Holley and Performer on and go to Ohio and challenge a couple of locals to see what she'll do!!
PS...I already have emails sent to Windsor-Fox and all other "swap" vendors that I could find. I just wanted to tap into the VMF think tank first.....believe it or not, some vendors don't know as much as some people think/forums/images/icons/wink.gif.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts