Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I am currently trying to decide on which route I need to go. I'm in the middle of a build. I have a 1969 Mach One Mustang.

I have a used 351w engine that I am lightly freshing up. Putting a Edlebrock performer intake on it, new timing chain, etc... The engine will be sitting a while waiting for the body to be ready but I want to go ahead and install a distributor while I know exactly where TDC is.

Was thinking about the Holley Hyperspark dizzy. Of course if I do that, I will have to go with the Sniper EFI.

Should I go this route or another dizzy? Also is Sniper better than Fitech? Should I be concerned about letting the EFI control timing?

Right now I don't currently own any ignition parts so I'm starting a blank slate. I want to go the best route and not buy something I have to change out later.

Thanks for any advice.

Tim

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Everyone is rushing to put these cheap EFI systems on their cars and it seems many people have problems with them. If you really want EFI I'd get something good.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Check out my post above, Hyperspark and returnless sniper setup with intank oem style fuel pump. It's was easy and Holley's support has been good to me so far.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
I think I'd first decide if you want EFI. I wouldn't pick a distributor and be forced to put EFI on it because of that choice.

Plenty of distributor options if you want a carb setup (but no opinion from me that would be helpful).

·
Registered
482 Posts
Indeed a Pro-Flo awaits my return home to Texas from our summer here in north Idaho. This after much research.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I for sure want an EFI system. I like the Pro-Flo but hate all the huge bulky connections. I like it to be as clean as possible.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Done two different Edelbrock Pro-Flo's in the past, pretty good. Just installed a Holley Sniper, not bad just some teething problems along the way but we're running pretty good at the moment on a relatively stock motor. Hands down the best has been a Pro-M EFI system on a 427 Windsor crate motor, true mass air. 12k miles and not an issue, ever. Very snappy and makes great power, totally drivable. Granted it's 2x plus the cost of a Pro-Flo but it's all better than a carb imho...just gotta get through the teething pains😊

·
Registered
468 Posts
I've heard good things about the Pro-Flo set-up. I have a Holley Sniper on my roller 302. If you do decide to go that route, I recommend Hyperspark distributor, CDI box and coil. It's all plug-n-play and basically idiot proof. I tried using my 2 wire MSD, with a phased rotor, etc. It never ran right trying to control timing. Started and idled fine but drivability sucked. Pulled off the MSD stuff and sold it and used the $$ to invest in the Hyperspark set-up. Bingo. Runs totally awesome. I used a Spectra EFI tank from Rock Auto, which dropped right in, is very affordable, and all of the connections for fuel lines are in the factory spot, so the trunk is perfectly clean of hoses and wires. Very pleased. Holley support and the forums are great. I mainly bought it vs Fitech because of support. There's are several local Holley speed shops that were very helpful.

Quick spin around the block video...need to mount the Sniper handheld screen, LOL: New video by Mike Herrmann

1 - 9 of 9 Posts