Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1966 mustang coupe
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, EFI is on my list of mods on the '66 and i was curious to know what kind of setups are you guys using on the track?

1- what EFI units are you using if any?

2- What fuel tank setup?

I am pretty set on a Holley sniper unit but i am still wondering what fuel tank setup ill be using to prevent fuel starvation.

From what i heard, inline pumps should be ruled out and a fuel cell would be my last resort since ill be driving the car on the streets most of the time.

So, i am looking at those 3 options now :

1- Holley 12-305 self regulated fuel pump for stock tank : Holley 12-305 Holley OEM Style EFI Fuel Tank Modules | Summit Racing

2- Spectra FA28AFI fuel tank with in tank efi pump : More Information for SPECTRA PREMIUM F28AFI

3- Aeromotive gen II stealth tank : Aeromotive 18197 Aeromotive Gen II Stealth Fuel Tanks | Summit Racing

Any inputs on this would be really appreciated.

Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
i used this: Holley Sniper 19-402 Holley Sniper EFI Conversion Fuel Tanks | Summit Racing

LOVE the sniper efi and all works smoothly and great on track and off.... I also used the dual sync efi distributor so the sniper controls timing too...

the only thing i added later was this little part that smooths out the throttle modulation to make it feel like a modern car, without it, tip in off idle was brutal. Holley Sniper 20-16 Holley Sniper Throttle Lever Extensions | Summit Racing

100% wish I had done all this at the beginning of the project, never could get a carb to work right under track conditions.

·
Registered
1966 mustang coupe
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i used this: Holley Sniper 19-402 Holley Sniper EFI Conversion Fuel Tanks | Summit Racing

LOVE the sniper efi and all works smoothly and great on track and off.... I also used the dual sync efi distributor so the sniper controls timing too...

the only thing i added later was this little part that smooths out the throttle modulation to make it feel like a modern car, without it, tip in off idle was brutal. Holley Sniper 20-16 Holley Sniper Throttle Lever Extensions | Summit Racing

100% wish I had done all this at the beginning of the project, never could get a carb to work right under track conditions.
Thats really good to know!

I like the "simplicity" of the carb in my car, you have the carb, a mechanical fuel pump and thats it, but its just never perfect.

One day it runs pretty good, the other day not that good so you have to adjust it a bit....

I have that screw driver in my console always ready to go :)

Being used to efi in my other cars and swaps, i always find a little flat spot or hesitation there and there with the carb....

I wont say it runs like crap because it is really not, but i didnt try it on the track yet....

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
my biggest, and maybe only "real" issue on track with carbs was hard braking, no matter what I did, it would end up stumbling under braking and take a minute to clear up on exit... two different not cheap carbs and lots of time playing with settings/jets/float levels on both. very well could be me and lack of tuning skills, but tuned via wideband and for what i spent on carbs/jets/wideband combined I could have just done the full efi system. Luckily lightly used market for carbs isn't bad so got some money back out of them.

·
Registered
1966 mustang coupe
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
my biggest, and maybe only "real" issue on track with carbs was hard braking, no matter what I did, it would end up stumbling under braking and take a minute to clear up on exit... two different not cheap carbs and lots of time playing with settings/jets/float levels on both. very well could be me and lack of tuning skills, but tuned via wideband and for what i spent on carbs/jets/wideband combined I could have just done the full efi system. Luckily lightly used market for carbs isn't bad so got some money back out of them.
I had this same issue with my double pumper and power brakes last year, i never new if it was a float level issue or the fact that my car idles with a pretty low vacuum for power brakes but i since replaced the carb with a vacuum secondary carb and installed manual brakes and this problem is gone now....

·
Registered
474 Posts
Holley Sniper Stealth + Holley Dual Sync (this is a must, made a huge positive difference)
Weldon a600 external pump. A bit overkill but it is self-priming and reliable enough to be used in airplanes.

The ability to program advance curve and dial everything in perfect for cruising was way better then a standard distributor with vacuum advance. The sniper also uses the timing to control the idle so after I added the dual sync I was able to set my idle 100 rpm lower with no issues dropping down into idle from high rpm.

Great system. Definitely get the adapters so you can program with a laptop.....

·
Registered
1966 mustang coupe
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Interesting....

What is the advantage of those dual sync distributors vs having a standard one locked for EFI?

Also, are you running with this external pump on the track without issues?

·
Registered
474 Posts
Interesting....

What is the advantage of those dual sync distributors vs having a standard one locked for EFI?

Also, are you running with this external pump on the track without issues?
Not sure. As long as Sniper can control your timing then I guess it wouldn't matter what distributor you use. I like the dual sync because you can order with a steel gear for roller cams, not sure if timing control would work with a regular distributor or not....

as far as the pump goes.

I was having a bunch of issues with my walbro pump. it had to be mounted low which I didn't like and going around corners I was having fuel starvation issues. Also with the Rhodes fuel cell I was using I was having issues with it sucking air leaving me stranded even when I had 8 gallons left in the tank.

I switched to the Weldon pump because it self primes so I can mount it anywhere and even if it sucks air it will quickly self correct and ordered a fuel safe cell with a holley mat for a pickup to eliminate starvation issues..if I had to start from scratch I would probably just have ordered a fuel safe cell with the built in aeromotive pump...

Reactions: drzmat

·
Registered
1966 mustang coupe
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
one of the (IMO) really cool features of the dual sync, is that you can set the crank to TDC and set timing using the built in lights on the dizzy without the car running so when you first fire it up it is 100% good to go.
Yep, ive watched some videos and thats very nice!

Im still working on a plan for my EFI project.

I am thinking of going with one of those fitech/hyperfuel surge tanks feeded by the stock mechanical pump.

I think it could be a great solution to prevent fuel starvation if you have the place to mount it under the hood...

·
Registered
1966 mustang coupe
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Seems like the sniper is the more popular unit....

Anyone runs an fitech kit on the track?

·
Registered
1966 mustang coupe
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just pulled the trigger on a sniper efi unit with an hyperfuel single pump surge tank that i will mount under the hood finally....

Will start without timing control for now and once its dialed in, i may get an hyperspark distributor.

Will give some feedback when everthing is installed :)

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Have fun. Be very mindful of the routing of your wires. I had to put a relay on the +12V power wire to finally rid myself of my interference issue(s). Also, if you have the hood clearance for a spacer it is recommended as well. Lots of information on EFISystemPro.com

Don't make things look pretty until you have driven the car a bit to make sure you don't have any interference issues you need to fix.....

Also, highly recommend you get the programming cable for the computer instead of using the built-in wizard, there are significantly more options to setup your system if you use a computer.....use the built in wizard to get it started but it is very limited to dial things in..for example here is my AFR and timing curves....with the software was able to lean things out and advance timing at cruise, you can record your trip and then plot the readings vs. time so you can see exactly where to adjust the settings. I also adjusted all my enrichment curves as well...

·
Registered
1966 mustang coupe
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Have fun. Be very mindful of the routing of your wires. I had to put a relay on the +12V power wire to finally rid myself of my interference issue(s). Also, if you have the hood clearance for a spacer it is recommended as well. Lots of information on EFISystemPro.com

Don't make things look pretty until you have driven the car a bit to make sure you don't have any interference issues you need to fix.....

Also, highly recommend you get the programming cable for the computer instead of using the built-in wizard, there are significantly more options to setup your system if you use a computer.....use the built in wizard to get it started but it is very limited to dial things in..for example here is my AFR and timing curves....with the software was able to lean things out and advance timing at cruise, you can record your trip and then plot the readings vs. time so you can see exactly where to adjust the settings. I also adjusted all my enrichment curves as well...

View attachment 800660 View attachment 800661
Yeah i know those systems are pretty sensible to interferences, i installed a fast ez-efi unit and a fitech unit with good success in the past but they were on multiport ls engines....

I kept my 1/2 spacer that i had with my carburetor under the sniper and it fits no problem with my hood scoop...

Im almost done with the electric part for now, im waiting for my fuel lines and fitings to arrive early next week and ill be able to start that thing!

Ive also bought the extension lever for the throttle.

I forgot the programming cable but il try to order one now!

Thanks a lot for the help!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Holley Sniper EFI, Sniper Distributer for ease of use with Sniper EFI timing control. DO NOT USE the Sniper EFI ignition box that comes in the whole kit deal. IT IS JUNK and will cause you headaches. I used MSD EFI 6 ignition box and coil. I used a CPP fuel tank kit, its a complete kit with line and all, I just had to buy a couple AN fittings to make it work with my install.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts