Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am converting a 68 coupe to efi. Somewhere I seen that you could use a electric fuel from a ford pick-up or something like that. What make of car or truck could I use the fuel pump out of without going to a aftermarket pump?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
I used the external one from an 89 Bronco on my efi conversion, econoline van from the late 80's I'm told would work too..

·
Registered
37,427 Posts
Just make sure you incorporate a safety device to stop fuel flow, such as routing through an oil pressure sender or installing a pendulum switch, or both.

·
Registered
692 Posts
A warning about the external pumps - some of them are LOUD. I tried an aftermarket MSD pump, and the Autozone replacement for the Ford trucks, and both were too noisy. At idle you could easily hear them whirring away. Cobrapatrol (from this forum) recommended the OEM fuel pump from a Merkur XR4ti. Mid 80's era car with an EFI turbo engine. He's using one on his 5.0 SVO, and found another one for me. It works great and I can't hear it at all when the engines running. When you turn the ignition switch to on, you can just barely hear it spinning. It has to be an OEM pump though, because if you ask for this one from Autozone, you'll get the same pump that used in the trucks (E2000 I think was the part number).

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What is the fuel pressure and flow requirements for a 5.0?
I have heard different stories from 40-45psi and heard 70-90psi. Will a 40-45psi pump work with # 19 injectors o a stock 5.0?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts