Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're getting ready to install a V10 in a 70 convertible, and I may have to find some room in the engine compartment (in the same way as, say, WWII was just a small skirmish). I have seen some guys take an inch or two out of the throttle body plate, but I need LOTS of room.

There is a ton of room under the plastic plenum. I'm leaning towards a custom tube intake and dropping the plenum down lower in the engine as well. I know that runner length is important and I understand why you lengthen them to time the delivery to cylinder for max velocity.

MY QUESTION IS - how critical is runner length with a supercharged engine? The supercharger is putting a constant pressure on the air, so doesn't this help deliver a good velocity to the cylinder? Does the length of the runners become less critical with added pressure?

To make this fit I may have to reduce the plenum or change the runner length. Any idea where I can become edumacated on this subject? Thanks

David Stribling ::
DVS Restorations, Inc.

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
as I understand it, with unnatural aspiration the trick is usually getting the burned charge out, not so much in getting the fresh charge in. You may find that you have a great deal of freedom in designing the intake path, but will have to carefully manage your exhaust headers/manifolds and cylinder evacuation.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A while back Jerry Heasley in Mustang and Fords Magazine asked when somebody was going to do an early car with the 6.8 V10 in it. One of my customers thought that would be cool.

Car is a 70 convertible, V10, automatic, independent rear suspension, supercharged with a functional shaker hood. Kewl.....

stay tuned to the magazine!
Dave ::

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
The supercharger can overcome most impediments on the intake side...so it is the exhaust side you have to work on...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts