Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
1968 Mustang, 351W, Tremec TKO

For anyone considering EFI, I recommend the ProM EFI stuff. Multi port is awesome, and I went with the Coil near Plug setup. Installation is well documented, everything went together just like it was supposed to, and it fired right up.

Lumpy cam... idles considerably smoother than it did with the carb setup.

I haven鈥檛 cleaned up the wiring yet, so please don鈥檛 judge that part! 馃槵

Attachments

Registered
Congrats, man! Multiport is where it's at. Is the ignition and fuel managed by one system? What exact FI setup did you use?

Registered
Nice! Looks like a nice setup. I wish I could do the coil near plug thing with my setup. The Holley will easily support it, but my current engine packaging (intake) won't allow for it.

EFI is where its at.. once you get all the setup gremlins out of the way, it just runs.

-Shannon

Registered
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Congrats, man! Multiport is where it's at. Is the ignition and fuel managed by one system? What exact FI setup did you use?
351 Windsor Complete Mass Air Sequential Port EFI System - Ford Complete EFI Systems - Pro-M EFI Engine Management Systems

I used the complete ProM system, it manages fuel and ignition. I added the option to do coil near plug setup, but you don鈥檛 have to. You can use conventional distributor if you want.

I went with ProM because I think that mass flow systems are inherently better than the ones that use MAP and a lookup table.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Nice! Looks like a nice setup. I wish I could do the coil near plug thing with my setup. The Holley will easily support it, but my current engine packaging (intake) won't allow for it.

EFI is where its at.. once you get all the setup gremlins out of the way, it just runs.

-Shannon
You can remote mount the coils on a firewall if you want ... just have to get plug wires made.

Registered
Congrats! I've had their system for about 10 years now on my supercharged 363. I have spent quite a few dollars on dyno/tuning to get it running right, but that's all in the past and running great now.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Congrats! I've had their system for about 10 years now on my supercharged 363. I have spent quite a few dollars on dyno/tuning to get it running right, but that's all in the past and running great now.
Just curious - what were the major tuning themes and were they more to do with the forced induction or base tune?

Registered
It ran very poorly out of the box. The forced induction component did offer some challenges for the tuner and for the overall schematic of the MAF meter and plumbing. We got it all figured out eventually. Switching engines from a 331 to a 363 required further tuning down the road but that's on me for changing a component of the system.

Registered
Looks beautiful albeit expensive. Two questions come to mind :
1. don't you want a lumpy idle and a carburator in a vintage car? I thought that was part of the experience ;-)
2. wouldn't it be easier cheaper and quicker to get a FI crate motor with stand alone harness? There are tons of options out there today...
I'm a tech junkie so I would go for a 4 cam and 6 speed, but tastes vary I get that....plenty of pushrod crate engine options as well...

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
Looks beautiful albeit expensive. Two questions come to mind :
1. don't you want a lumpy idle and a carburator in a vintage car? I thought that was part of the experience 馃槈
2. wouldn't it be easier cheaper and quicker to get a FI crate motor with stand alone harness? There are tons of options out there today...
I'm a tech junkie so I would go for a 4 cam and 6 speed, but tastes vary I get that....plenty of pushrod crate engine options as well...
To each our own I suppose, my opinion/answers:

1. I like the mix of old and new. Modern tech in an old car is very attractive to me - best of both worlds. Lumpy cam, big power, efficiency, tune capability, and looks of port EFI is an awesome combination.

2. If I were starting from scratch, I would鈥檝e done a Coyote 5.0 with the FRPP EFI system. The car already had a brand new 351W in it with a super sweet custom built Kooks exhaust system, so I decided to stay with the tall deck pushrod engine. The upgrade path from here is very cost effective: to go to a 408 or 427 stroker means I only have to change the injectors.

Registered
That explains it. Honestly, my 2001 Cobra I sold not too long ago was a bit of a disappointment in the engine department. The stock setup seemed to get the engine confused. The long intake runners are a setup for the low end torque but the engine architecture, 4 cams, short stroke, 4 valves per cylinder are a rev happy bunch. So the result, predictably, was not much low end torque and nothing above 5000rpm. After a while it didn't even want to go there. For comparison I have a Maserati 4200 with a similar, on paper, 4.2l 4 cam motor and it revs happily to no end. Both cross plane crank design except the Maserati has variable valve timing. I was thinking of swapping in the Boss 302 intake into the cobra as those runners are short and big for high RPM power.
When I called modular motorsports, my local modular engine builder they quoted me $8k to rebuild the motor properly. 8K! I could sell my cobra, buy a coyote powered car and would still be ahead money wise haha..

Registered
That setup looks so clean! I would be interested to see the performance difference between that and throttle body injection.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts