Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to use Autometer gauges in my car but am concerned that if I swap out the original sending unit for the Autometer one it will some how affect the computer signals. Can anyone shed some light on this. I really don't want to put a t in the sender if I don't need to. I already have to put a t in because of the blower oil lines. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
An additional but related question. How about the water temp sensor? Can I switch the autometer one in and replace the 5.0 sender with it or will that screw up the computer readings?

·
Registered
780 Posts
Not sure what EFI setup you are running. But assuming its a stock Ford EFI 89-92 style:

The Oil gage and the Water Temp gage senders are not tied to the computer. The EEC is attached to the ACT sensor (between #1 and #2 cyl) and the ECT sensor (in the heater hard lines), but the gage leads are independent but sharing the same harness. You have to change the Oil Pressure sender to the Autometer brand....the gage won't work with the stock unit. Change over to the autometer temp sensor also to ensure a proper temp reading.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help James. You are the EFI man! I am running a stock fox body computer system on my car. It sounds like I am in good shape to remove the old senders and put the new ones in.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts