Vintage Mustang Forums banner

EFI or Carb - Why did you choose it?

5083 Views 89 Replies 43 Participants Last post by  Westmus
I’m looking to get a 96-01 Explorer 302 for my 67 FB build because it’s the cheapest path to build an engine up to 280-300 hp.

I’ve been putting off getting an engine because I can’t decide on whether to make EFI work or just switch to a carb. I’m familiar with a carb, and that hp range will be streetable and easy. The EFI route seems a bit daunting, what with all the wiring and such.

I’m just curious to get some opinions on why you did what you did if it was a reason other than originality.
61 - 80 of 90 Posts

· Registered
45,104 Posts
I chose, and will continue to choose, a carburetor. I own a vintage Mustang to drive a vintage Mustang, not a late model Mustang.

A brief observation..... I'd like to see ANY of today's comparable vehicles with a 3.00:1 final drive ratio in top gear, manage to get the same fuel mileage on a trip that I do with my Mustang. If I limit myself to 70 mph and tread lightly on the skinny pedal I can squeak 20 mpg on the highway.

· Agitator
1965 2+2 Vintage Burgundy A-code C4
7,367 Posts
I chose, and will continue to choose, a carburetor. I own a vintage Mustang to drive a vintage Mustang, not a late model Mustang.
As much as it pains me to side with Bart, this is exactly where I’m at. It’s why I backed off EFI for a carb. It’s why I backed off a T-5 for a Toploader. It’s why I’ll use stock-ish suspension versus coilovers or 3-links. Nothing against any of this or those who choose this path, but I want the vintage feel, bugaboos and all.

· Registered
7,735 Posts

A brief observation..... I'd like to see ANY of today's comparable vehicles with a 3.00:1 final drive ratio in top gear, manage to get the same fuel mileage on a trip that I do with my Mustang. If I limit myself to 70 mph and tread lightly on the skinny pedal I can squeak 20 mpg on the highway.
My 2021 F150 with a 5.0 with both direct and multiport fuel injection will squeak out 24 mpg in similar situations.🤷‍♂️

· Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
23,552 Posts
I've developed an aversion to proprietary aftermarket products for about anything these days. Because of just such tendencies of people to suddenly close up shop for any number of reasons. I tend to keep stuff a long time and might need service parts 10 or 20 years down the road. I have an old RV plagued with such. RV's are conglomerations of assemblies from a good number of small company suppliers. That come and go like the wind, apparently.

· Registered
'69 Mustang coupe...331, Fox / Explorer EFI, TK3550, MDL, SoT, TCP, Fays2 Watts, 94-04 Cobra discs
526 Posts
Yep, a major provider to the Ford tuning community for generations of enthusiasts has closed their doors. I hope someone close to the Moates family will be able to revive the product line one day, otherwise we're all genuinely hosed!
Bummer. That was my planned direction - Moates QH - when the time came to fire this pile up. Looking at the Megasquirt right now. I’m pretty simple on my mods - 331, Ford-based MPFI (5.0L Fox and Exploder parts), NA…MS2 probably plenty for my current setup and anything I’m likely to add in the future. I’d like to maybe upgrade the heads and cam eventually and squeeze a few more out of this 331. Plus, sticking with an EEC4 / EEC5 platform let’s me keep the Painless harness I’ve got.

· Registered
1,412 Posts
I've developed an aversion to proprietary aftermarket products for about anything these days. Because of just such tendencies of people to suddenly close up shop for any number of reasons. I tend to keep stuff a long time and might need service parts 10 or 20 years down the road. I have an old RV plagued with such. RV's are conglomerations of assemblies from a good number of small company suppliers. That come and go like the wind, apparently.
I saw this happen with major effects on an Army activity. Mom and Pop company sold a major system to the Army. Supposedly no one from the Army side knew it was just Mom and Pop. System ran pretty well for 10 years or so and spare parts were not a problem. Suddenly things are failing. Mom and Pop have divorced, no parts, no support of any kind available. There was a crisis for quite some time as a new vendor with a new system was sought out.

· Registered
156 Posts
There's still an option. You can probably find someone selling an F3 chip or Quarterhorse. The other option would be the TwEECer RT. That's what I'm actually using for my 289 build up using a REAC4 strategy computer from a late model 2nd gen Explorer with 5.0L V8. TwEECer seems to support almost every strategy out there at no cost as well.

· Registered
1968 fastback + a bunch of foxes
150 Posts
twEECer has mostly the same functions as QuarterHorse had. And Mike is still supporting it.

I have both, and Moates chips for when I quit playing, or need to tune a different vehicle.

· Registered
288 Posts
I rewired my 68 with an AAW harness, how much harder can it be.
I'm with you Brother!
I just bought my AAW for my 67...

I'm going EFI over carb for a variety of reasons. Better MPG, advanced tuning, better streetability, I have done more engine and transmission swaps than carb rebuilds and I am doing a complete rebuild. 🔥💰🔥💸💸

Just FYI, I have heard a lot of bad things about TBI systems from local guys and shops as well as seen a lot of holley refurbs TBIs for sale on FB marketplace. No personal experience though all stories. So I am staying away. I do like the Pro Flow 4 but I am probably going with a holley setup. I will probably buy a systemax for better low end torque. I really really want the hi-ram I dont why but I wants it and Maier racing makes a hood with 2+inches of extra room.

61 - 80 of 90 Posts