Vintage Mustang Forums banner

EFI or Carb - Why did you choose it?

5080 Views 89 Replies 43 Participants Last post by  Westmus
I’m looking to get a 96-01 Explorer 302 for my 67 FB build because it’s the cheapest path to build an engine up to 280-300 hp.

I’ve been putting off getting an engine because I can’t decide on whether to make EFI work or just switch to a carb. I’m familiar with a carb, and that hp range will be streetable and easy. The EFI route seems a bit daunting, what with all the wiring and such.

I’m just curious to get some opinions on why you did what you did if it was a reason other than originality.
81 - 90 of 90 Posts

· Registered
273 Posts
As relates to keeping the Mustang "vintage," I think there needs to be some clarification on if that means to keep it stock or not. Point is, where do you draw the line? Is it ok to add better shocks and springs or does that make if not feel vintage because it now has an improved ride. Do you leave the original pedal assembly and not go rollerized because it will feel too smooth and easier on the leg. Do you stick with 3 gears instead of 5+ so you can feel your brain needlessly rattle on a road trip for hours on end and leave more cash at gas stations along the way. Do you go out of your way to find radial tires for a "better" ride quality?

Most would agree that there's no right or wrong answer. Well maybe that's too optimistic/idealistic and reality is we'll tend to believe our own ways and habits of rationalizing and forming perceptions are right thereby making others wrong. Without getting too deep, there's a wide range of "where do YOU stop" and decide to draw the line. For some, it's anything that makes it look modernized on the outside (about where I'm at but the second you open the hood, or crawl under the car, expect something much better than stock). For others, so long as a modification provides additional power, improved efficiency, added durability, safety, then why not step further outside the original box.

I've done a lot to my Mustang to make it not drive like a primitive vehicle by today's standards. The net result is that it just makes it even more fun and enjoyable to drive while at the same time safer, more reliable, better acceleration and deceleration capabilities, improved engine/exhaust sound, etc. That said, the carb still plays well in today's world of new and improved options and there's not enough compelling reasons to pull me over to adding technology that hasn't been designed/built to be widely reliable just yet. On the other hand, I don't love carbs to the point that If I were buying a new vehicle, I'd be wishing it had a carb instead of EFI. I feel the big companies are held to standards to produce generally solid products, however, after-market is not. If there's one substantial benefit I view EFI offers, it would be the freedom to travel great distances while encountering massive elevation changes while adjusting automatically to the fluctuations of available oxygen. Or should I prefer the stock design where the engine just refuses to function and you have to wait for hours to cool down so you can change jets, in an inconvenient location, only to have to change them again in an hour or less when altitude is a few thousand feet higher or lower.

· Registered
1,125 Posts
On my other Ford motor, I went from blown EFI to dual quad Holleys (upgraded from a 302 to a 331 at the same time). I wanted the vintage look, and to learn about carbs. I didn’t have much carb knowledge prior to this install. Couldn’t be happier and the drivability is great!

· Premium Member
340 Posts
Swapped from carb to EFI on my 351W last Fall and couldn’t be more pleased.

Installed the Holley Sniper with their return-less fuel system, no issues. Easy kits to install and affordable.

Tuned here in Florida remotely by Nick the mad scientist Langen in Texas. He is a genius. Runs like a top. Tuning is the key to unlock all the power.

Already ordered the new Holley Hyperspark RTR distributor 565-342 with built in coil induction to add timing control. Nick already sent me the tune to preload when I do.

Don’t overlook the timing control.

A+

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
23,549 Posts
Tuning is the key to unlock all the power.
Funny how that applies every bit as well to vintage carbureted engines with points distributors. Or basically any internal combustion engine ever made.

· Premium Member
1965 Mustang GT. 11.898 @ 113.646, all motor, three pedals
2,758 Posts
For what it’s worth… damn near ANY carburetor (appropriate for the application) can be tuned for ‘better throttle response/fuel economy/cold starts’ blah blah blah.… it just depends on how much time and work you want to put into it. That said, fuel delivery is just one piece of the puzzle. Ignition, camshaft, intake, exhaust, gearing, torque converter (if applicable) all have to be ‘matched‘ for optimal results, regardless if you’re carbureted or injected.

· Registered
2,815 Posts
on my f100 i went with a factory fox mustang fuel injection setup, the truck will be a driver and i'd like to squeak every last mpg possible out of it, and i can get parts at pretty much any parts store, and it gives me a chance to learn about efi.

my mustang is for fun, i know carbs, and i want to keep it simple. weather isn't a factor here in florida, nor is altitude, so cold starts are a non-issue and i don't have to worry about going from sea level to 5k feet on the average drive.

· Registered
1,373 Posts
… it just depends on how much time and work you want to put into it.
That's kind of the reason why I went efi some years ago, I'm simply to lazy for carburators, when self-tuning efi have been invented. I'm also to young to be scared of electronics. Electronics done right are very smart and relable. It's also the reason people today are able to run much faster than back in the day and cars can do crazy fast 0-60s on the street without any tire spin. The serious street racers or the stock type drag racers, even when running carburated, are all using data-logging and electronic ignition management.
My car looks and drives like a vintage Mustang and you will have to look closely under the hood to catch it got efi. I have never regretted going efi and that the car just jumps into idling as soon the key is turned, even if the car have sat for months in the vinter, just put a smile on my face every time. There's no hot engine starting problems either.

81 - 90 of 90 Posts