Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I figured out how to get a picture on here. Here is the EFI manifold from Mass-Flo EFI with the shaker base. As soon as I get the "tunnels" made, I'll get that on here too. Also looks like there might be a problem with the distributor clearance.
http://www.members.cox.net/dmstreiff/images/DSCN0539.JPG
http://www.members.cox.net/dmstreiff/images/DSCN0542.JPG

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
What distributor are you going to use? BTW beautiful setup!

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
What distributor are you going to use? BTW beautiful setup!
I think(?) he was referring to the fuel (distribution) rails? ::
Looks like they interfere with the air cleaner base

·
Premium Member
11,701 Posts
If the shaker ends up sitting at the same height it used to should not the dizzy clear as well?

MSD makes a short/small dizzy for the Ford. I have one to use with my individual runner intake. They call it the "Small Diameter" distributor. It's also quite short.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
:jawdrop: NICE setup, that is going to look great when completed.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Unfortunately, MassFlo requires the use of the TFI type dizzy. There are generally taller than others, the Mallory unit I have is higher than the top of my air filter.

It looks like you will have to have the front of the housing re-shaped to clear the dizzy. Did you get a Mallory dizzy?

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/9/web/597000-597999/597572_62.jpg
It is a Mallory dist. It is one tall critter. You're right, it holds the base about 1 1/2 inches off the throttle body. I am going to have to do some more body work to the base so it sits all the way down on the throttle body, or the shaker won't end up where it's supposed to be.
I really hate to be messing with that base, but I don't see any other way to get the job done.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
since you are running a clevie you can use a TFI distributor from a 460 truck. IIRC there was small diamater unit used in the mid 90's. worth a shot.
I thought about that, but the Mallory is already bought and paid for, and it looks real good.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
since you are running a clevie you can use a TFI distributor from a 460 truck. IIRC there was small diamater unit used in the mid 90's. worth a shot.
Well, I might have to go with your idea. It looks like if I cut enough out of the base to clear the dist., I will be getting into the flat part where the air filter sits.
The problem, isn't all caused by the diameter of the cap. Part of the problem is the heigth of the Mallory.

http://members.cox.net/dmstreiff/images/DSCN0554.JPG

·
Registered
967 Posts
I'll preface this by saying I know nothing about shaker setups.....but what about using a carb spacer to lift the throttle body up from the intake. That would then give you the clearance for the rails and dizzy.

I have no idea how that would affect the clearance on the top side where it comes in contact with the hood???

It also depends on the height of the orignal intake in comparison the efi intake.

Just a thought or 2.

RV

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The throttle body I got from Mass-FloEFI is their short one. There is a 5/8" spacer on top that so that the shaker ends up at the same heigth as a factory setup. If I add any more spacers, the shaker will be too high. I'm thinking about 1/4" is all I really have to mess with. What I need to know is, is there a factory TFI distributor made for a 460? If I can find one to try, it might be short enough to work wothout cutting on my base any more. ::

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
What I need to know is, is there a factory TFI distributor made for a 460?
Yep..ask for a dizzy for a 88-98 F250 4x4 460/Auto (just to satisfy the parts goonies ::)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yep..ask for a dizzy for a 88-98 F250 4x4 460/Auto (just to satisfy the parts goonies ::)
I'll check on that today.

Thanks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts