Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
looking for a couple quick answers, like where shoudl I mount the PCM? anyone do this? it's not as easy as it sounds, to make things look good under the hood, specially since the wiring harness I am working with was meant for an 89 GT mustang not a 1968. another question, the engine I have was out of a stock crown vic from 1989, the upper intake manifold with the throttle body is facing the opposite direction from that of a 5.0L mustang, has anyone been able to get one of those turned around without too much headache? sounds easy too, but routing things like the throttle cable, and the way the linkages pull on the throttle body is bass ackwards. I would leave it run to the left side like it wa sin the crown vic, but as vain as it sounds, I paid $99 fo ra BBK cold air pipe and I want the BBK pipe to go in right side up, not up side down. make sense? any one out htere brave enough to have already been through these headaches?
TYIA
John Phillis

·
Registered
21,079 Posts
1st let me say, I think you're in for a real headache using different pieces parts. Ideally you should find a complete donor Mustang for thr fuel injection. There's a lot more to it then a wire harness and manifold. Don't forget the inertia and roller over switch for the fuel pump!

The plenum from the Crown vic is also smaller then the Mustang units and I also believe it's a speed density set up.

Re think this, get a Mustangs Plus catalog, they offer a lot of conversion parts for this swap.

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Not to mention, the standard 5.0 firing order IS different than the Mustang's HO firing order, so the computer & injector harness are different....

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
When I did the swap I used all 91 GT components. I even used the throttle cable and you should be able too. I am not sure about using the Mustang wiring harness with the Crown Vic motor but if you do the best thing I found to do was install all connectors on the sensors and components of the motor and then strart mounting the periphial components on the fender skirts and firewall where harness lengths would permit. Click on my web site and look at restoration photos and the last pic is the end result of my conversion. I've started to write up a paper on how i did mine for Bobs FAQ section and haven't finished it yet, I guess I should. Good luck and keep asking questions as you progress and run into problems

·
Banned
4,774 Posts
Once you get a Mustangs Plus catalog it won't take you long to figure out what the "Plus " stands for . $850.00 for a 4 wire main harness .What a deal !!!

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
as far as the inertia switch for the fuel tank pump shut off, I got that installed nice and neatly no problems there, as far as the crown vic engine, the block is a 302, same one that Ford uses for many many different and wonderful things, there is no problem there, thigns such as the MAF, TPS, KS, and HEGO are not a problem as most are new and match the wiring harness from the donor(rolled 89 GT) unfortunately the reason I got such a good price on this "easy fixer" 89 GT, is that upon flipped on it's steel hood for the umpteenth time, the upper intake and throttle body were destroyed... things such as the fuel rails and injector setup on the lower intake manifold are just fine, and looking good bolted to a crown vic 302, the upper intake manifold fits on there just fine too but the airplenum side loks like guardrail swiss cheese. so, to remedy, the crown vickinator upper intake is on there, but facing the wrong direction, I am already gonna have to invest in a ne trottle body either way I go, but, wa swondering if anyone knew whether or not the upper intake had any differences that would not permit me to just flip it 180, adn force it to go with the flow. anyone do this? is it a piece o cake? I shoudl really look at the car, or cross reference the PN on the upper intake from the GT rollstang to the crowned victorious, but my butt is stuck to this chair right now. too tired of working on other people's toys all day and having no time to play with my own. also by removing the stock dewalt sawzall from the car firewall hole I cut for the 60 conductor main harness provided me a nice secure secluded mounting place for the pcm. although, it is not a thing to brag about, but dang was it fun to make a big hole in something and then pretend like ford did it. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts