Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok...swapping a 5.0 into a 65: Changing the oil pan from the rear sump to an early model front sump.

Question: Other than changing the oil pump screen/pickup tube, is there anything else to be done inside the pan?
Where does one get a pickup tube/screen? When you buy a screen, does it come with the tube that mates to the oil pump? What year model is most appropriate?

thanks...I'm gonna have lots of questions...

·
Registered
315 Posts
All you should have to change is the pick up tube, it comes with the screen. Try a local auto parts store they may have one in stock. It shouldn't matter what year, as long as it was a front sump application. I would probably change the pump, while you were at it, small cost, big peace of mind. Stock volume pump, by the way.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah..thanks for the help. I did search actually.

But I have found out that you can buy a "oil pump screen" which includes the pickup tube. and other than drilling the dipstick, plugging the old hole, replacing the gasket, and installing a new pan..that's about it.

It all has to be coordinated with any decision to remove the timing chain cover.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I purchased a front sump, stock replacement screen/pick-up assembly from NAPA to use with a Milodon stock replacement oil pan for the FRPP 5.0L I am installing in my '65. Cost about $13 and quality looked good. NAPA has a web search feature you can check.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
You'll need to use a dip stick that goes in the front timing cover, so while the pan is off drill the hole in the timing cover for the dip stick tube (unless you have an early cover that already has the hole). Also, you need to remove the disp stick tune in the block and plug it with a small freeze out plug. What are you using for a water pump, the reverse rotation pump that came on the 5.0 EFI or the original 289/302 type pump?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts